• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auction Catalogs
1 1

156 posts in this topic

On 1/5/2023 at 3:23 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

If you haven't seen this catalog it's about 125 pages long.  Sometimes a page has 2-4 items listed when there is a pricey coin with a description of a few paragraphs....other times, it's just 20-25 rows of inexpensive small denomination coins costing about $10-$15 on average.

All stuff I never had interest in :):  Flying Eagle Cents.....Gold Dollars....Carson City dimes....etc...etc...etc.  As Roger and others said, in retrospect, it's clear that the bulk or most of this stuff was owned by others who "piggy-backed" on the Menjou name to more easily sell their coins.

The total raised was just under $135,000....I'll guestimate about 1,500 to 2,000 individual items auctioned off.

...actually many of the rarities were "piggy-backed" on the Menjou name n many of the common coins were his...i do recall that some portion of the gold coins u r interested in were his?...i do have the same copy that u have n have used it in my tracking of various coins that i am interested in....

On 1/5/2023 at 3:46 PM, World Colonial said:

No, I have not seen it.

Hardly any catalogue of US coinage interests me anymore.  Almost exclusively repetitive sales of coins I see all the time or regularly but even if actually scarce, often enough.  Practically every US coin by now is in the Heritage archives, just not in a specific grade or maybe some specialization.

The US coinage of most interest to me is almost never discussed on coin forums: Territorial gold, the few CSA, and a relatively low number of colonial.  I'm interested in discussing other collector's interests here, but not taking any of my time to read up on it.

The primary interest I'd have in this type of catalogue is due to the reason I replied to your post yesterday (historical prices) but that's more academic to me than of any practical use.

...just out of curiosity re catalogs, have u ever looked thru the virgil brand collection sales to see if the obscure areas u collect were in his collection?...the ANA library may be able to assist u if u were interested....

On 1/5/2023 at 4:38 PM, zadok said:

...just out of curiosity re catalogs, have u ever looked thru the virgil brand collection sales to see if the obscure areas u collect were in his collection?...the ANA library may be able to assist u if u were interested....

No, but that's one I probably should since his collection was huge.

The Patrick collection is another, but I don't need the hard copy since it's all on-line.

On 1/5/2023 at 4:34 PM, zadok said:

...actually many of the rarities were "piggy-backed" on the Menjou name n many of the common coins were his...i do recall that some portion of the gold coins u r interested in were his?...i do have the same copy that u have n have used it in my tracking of various coins that i am interested in....

Supposedly he had 150 of the MCMVII High Relief Saints.....I've also never seen any label with his name on it, maybe more famous people who picked up his coins got theirs on the labels instead. :)

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 1/5/2023 at 6:26 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Supposedly he had 150 of the MCMVII High Relief Saints.....I've also never seen any label with his name on it, maybe more famous people who picked up his coins got theirs on the labels instead. :)

...way before the tpgs...i once owned a coin in a flip that had a menjou paper insert, was a low grade seated qrt i dont even remember the date, was a few decades ago...the paper insert added no value then i just thought was cool to have one, long since sold it, wish i hadnt...but i went the upgrade route on almost all my coins n much later decided to obtain as many rare collection pedigreed coins as i could which i still have...yea i heard maybe as many as 200 of the saints hi-reliefs....