• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1914 D Lincoln Cent
2 2

14 posts in this topic

I found this 1914 D Lincoln cent on Ebay for around 2300 dollars. It looks like its got an added D to it. I compared it to other ones I was looking at. But my thoughts on it is its weaker than the rest of the details on the coin. It doesn't seem like the right look to me and it seems to high. I want to see what others think before I post the link because I could be wrong. But its off from other ones I've looked at. received_738677020111865.thumb.jpeg.1456480befa9d0c8042275762f071170.jpeg

Please do not consider buying anything other than a certified coin. This is a key date in high grade condition that has problems. If it didn't have problems it would be in an NGC or PCGS holder. Don't touch it !

This is one to stay away from, it appears to be cleaned and very possibly whizzed.

Edited to add:  the obverse does have the correct diagnostic die crack and I think the coin is a legit 14-D but the mm looks odd possibly due to the whizzing/cleaning.

Edited by Coinbuf

4 minutes ago, numisport said:

Please do not consider buying anything other than a certified coin. This is a key date in high grade condition that has problems. If it didn't have problems it would be in an NGC or PCGS holder. Don't touch it !

Agreed.

There are thousands of counterfeit and altered 1914-D cents floating around. They began appearing in the 1920s (!) and are still churned out by crooks from Colorado to China.

I agree. I never had any intention of buying it. I was just  looking at a few and comparing them to the ones on NGC counterfeit common section. And that one caught my attention. I didn't like the looks of it. Its way out of my price range also. I wanted to get other opinions on it for a learning session. Im trying to learn how to spot counterfeits. 

2 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

This is one to stay away from, it appears to be cleaned and very possibly whizzed.

Edited to add:  the obverse does have the correct diagnostic die crack and I think the coin is a legit 14-D but the mm looks odd possibly due to the whizzing/cleaning.

Now they're whizzing on coins?! What has this world come too?1

2 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

I agree. I never had any intention of buying it. I was just  looking at a few and comparing them to the ones on NGC counterfeit common section. And that one caught my attention. I didn't like the looks of it. Its way out of my price range also. I wanted to get other opinions on it for a learning session. Im trying to learn how to spot counterfeits. 

I've seen your posts on finances....you're right, you have no intention...:roflmao:

On 1/8/2021 at 12:37 PM, numisport said:

Sound advice!

25 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Sound advice!

I didn't hear anything....

;)

@RWB  Telepathic communication!  Otherwise, you'd never get any work done.  Cesium 137: "high-yield during fission, moderate half-life, high-energy decay pathway, and chemical reactivity."  Rubidium is also quiet as a mouse... until you [try to] hold it in your hand. Soundless advice.  ;)

On 1/8/2021 at 12:43 PM, RWB said:

Agreed.

There are thousands of counterfeit and altered 1914-D cents floating around. They began appearing in the 1920s (!) and are still churned out by crooks from Colorado to China.

might as well add connecticut to the list.....they just legalized marijuana.....not that I'm against it, I'm not,....as a matter of fact, when I retire I'll rooll one of them ''Big Bambu'' jobs right in the employee parking lot and go ''up in smoke''....