• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1829 capped bust dime question...proof?

10 posts in this topic

Colors look really weird. The obverse color looks very AT to me, going by the way the coloring tracks around the devices. The reverse color looks like a hideously cleaned large cent colorwise. I can't say how it might have gotten this way, but I can say it makes me doubtful.

6 minutes ago, JKK said:

Colors look really weird. The obverse color looks very AT to me, going by the way the coloring tracks around the devices. The reverse color looks like a hideously cleaned large cent colorwise. I can't say how it might have gotten this way, but I can say it makes me doubtful.

the coin is listed as a choice proof with only 5-8 known which would make it  very high dollar coin.  im not really seeing the Proof part of anything but i cant see anything except the color that seems off.  and it seems weird an extremely rare coin would not be in a major tpg slab and on ebay.  seems another case of potentially way to good to be true perhaps.

36 minutes ago, dollarfan said:

the coin is listed as a choice proof with only 5-8 known which would make it  very high dollar coin.  im not really seeing the Proof part of anything but i cant see anything except the color that seems off.  and it seems weird an extremely rare coin would not be in a major tpg slab and on ebay.  seems another case of potentially way to good to be true perhaps.

Could be. I agree with your motivation to question it.

12 minutes ago, JKK said:
49 minutes ago, dollarfan said:

and it seems weird an extremely rare coin would not be in a major tpg slab and on ebay.  seems another case of potentially way to good to be true perhaps.

Could be. I agree with your motivation to question it.

Agree.  A very important coin such as described not in a PCGS or NGC slab.  Pass.

Edited by Alex in PA.

14 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

Be a shame if someone did AT it. Need their hind end wopped with a switch. Also cleaning it. Makes a poor boy want to cry. 

Use a 1/2" dowel rod. Based on my experience in a Baptist elementary school, that's about the worst short of a sjambok.

this looked like it was a "sharpie" job.  nowhere on the coin does anything look remotely like a proof?? what happened to the reverse proof side??  100K coin sold to someone for under 6K thinking they scored the coin of a lifetime.  i reported the bidding team issues and ebay did nothing.  sad.

6 hours ago, JKK said:

Use a 1/2" dowel rod. Based on my experience in a Baptist elementary school, that's about the worst short of a sjambok.

My dad had a belt that had fancy stitches on it. He would wear me out with that thing and it would leave big red fancy whelps and swirl designs all up and down mt legs. Lol. My legs looked like big fancy Corinthian collums or something.