• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1944 Penny with a “5” stamped on it?

8 posts in this topic

Hello, I’m relatively new to collecting, but wanted to get something a little extra to help boost my old penny collection, so I bought a roll of “original bank wrap” pennies.

There was no bank name stamped on the side of the roll, but I went ahead and opened them anyway.

I don’t think I found anything outrageous (a very nice 1943 steel penny and a decent shape 1906), but one that struck me as odd (no pun intended) was this 1944 with a “5” imprinted in it. I’ll include some closeups on it and a picture if anyone is interested in taking a look.

I googled about pennies imprinted but I can’t find anything nor have I seen or heard of it happening. It doesn’t appear to be a defacement, I mean for what reason would a coin get stamped with a number otherwise?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

image.jpg

33 minutes ago, Ryan0192 said:

The reason I asked was the 5 looks somewhat “official”. That quarter is pretty cool though! 

Sorry, nothing official about the 5. Just graffiti.