• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 no mint Washington Quarter

5 posts in this topic

Hello i got this coin today as change from a convenient store, I immediately spotted it when he handed it to me due to the luster it was giving off.
After inspecting it, it looks slightly off center on the obverse side. 
The reverse side appears to show some die chips on some letters and field. 
My question comes on the reverse side on the wings, would that be considered DDR?

I know its not the rim but could it also be wire rim since its close and consequently maybe had something to do with it. Also if you spot something else please let me know or correct me if im wrong please. 

Thanks in advance. 

A58C1896-91C8-46BF-AEA4-C50BB6000475.jpeg

D1CE0917-BA29-44CD-B2B7-592557CEBD0E.jpeg

they did not put mint marks on Quarters in 64.  therefore this is a Philly example I think they did not start using the P mintmark again  until 80

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Mintmarks were used for all 1964-dated coins made at the Denver Mint only, and several denominations were coined with that date as late as 1966. The 1964-dated coins struck at Philadelphia lacked mintmarks, as was the norm for that facility until 1980. 1964-dated coins were struck in 1965 at the San Francisco Assay Office, too, but without mintmarks.

Mintmarks were suspended for all 1965-67-dated coins, regardless of where made.