• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange 1964 non proof Kennedy

12 posts in this topic

Here’s the thing I don’t believe this is an sms coin, appears to have a matte finish. No teardrop on the four, no straight g, but very square and wire like rims. The strike is indicative of a higher tonnage press with no beveling. It’s almost the accented hair variety but with no straight g and no breaks in the star rays. This is a bit of an oddity. Also not shiny or reflective enough to be a proof. 

296B29D0-583B-4F7F-9E07-AE922BD783CE.png

0B7BECE4-B90A-4ADC-954B-3FA0A7A36581.png

And the strike is impeccable, no die blobs in the lettering, a deep and intentioned strike. However I did read somewhere in my many perusings that the obverse of some 1964 Kennedy sms halves show a distinctive rose gold, or pinkish hughing. 

Edited by Ratzie33

yes I think so, look at the line on the right side of the L . And the rim Break below the base of the L. Also the wire rim. Those would be hard to duplicate. The wire rim has a finning, or shelf-like protrusion toward the edge that no two coins have alike.

A164D54C-AC45-487A-B57F-4D9B200389A6.png

3923B4E4-5652-4D54-8C41-842813C0CB25.png

Edited by Ratzie33

Looks like proof rims. Literally millions of proofs were struck that year and I've seen some with no mirrors and kind of a satin look that were still in original packing. Pretty sure you have one of roughly 4 million proofs struck.

Funny how no one bothered to ask the obvious question:  Where did you get it from? How did this coin come to be in your possession? What representations were made to you at the time you acquired it? 🤔