• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 US penny

2 posts in this topic

Hello,

I just wanted to know the exact term about the issue of my 1972-D penny  and might be the value is worth  its face value, According to my finding  the issues mostly on the reverse seems weak strike. No "E"

E.pluribus.

9CED83A3-CFFC-4865-92AD-6145A9E9C39E.jpeg

732E9D34-1CE3-47C4-93B3-4492D9E847BE.jpeg

Sometimes, when a letter, numeral, or other part of the design is weak or missing, it is the result of "grease" or some other substance filling in the recesses of the design in the die, which prevents the metal of the coin from filling all of the recess. This is usually referred to as a "filled die" or "grease-filled die."

In the case of Lincoln cents, one of the highest parts of the design on the obverse, Lincoln's shoulder, is opposite the motto, E PLURIBUS UNUM, and the words "STATES OF" on the reverse. This sometimes resulted in insufficient metal to fill all of the letters, leaving some of them weak or missing.

Edited by Just Bob
I can't believe that no one told me I spelled pluribus wrong