• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proper etiquette
2 2

5 posts in this topic

What is the proper etiquette when noticing an error in a fellow collector's set that is ranked in the registry? For example, if there is a G$10 coin that is mislabeled as G$100 and then used in a G$100 slot in the registry. In this instance, should we bring the error to  someone's attention, or should we ignore it? If we should let someone know, who should that be?

That’s a good question. Someone shouldn’t use an error to benefit them in the scoring, but it’s not their fault the holder came back with the mistake. I’m not sure what the policy is. Will NGC reholder a coin when there is a mistake on it?

43 minutes ago, BlakeEik said:

That’s a good question. Someone shouldn’t use an error to benefit them in the scoring, but it’s not their fault the holder came back with the mistake. I’m not sure what the policy is. Will NGC reholder a coin when there is a mistake on it?

I have never had this happen to me but I believe that both of the major services will correct these unintentional label issues (commonly called mechanical errors).  In the past I have seen posts on this subject where the TPG will correct this for free if sent in by the submitter, I'm not certain of the policy if the coin is sold by the submitter and the new owner wants to correct the label.  As to the OP's question I would suggest that you contact the owner and gently suggest that it should be corrected.  If you receive no answer, or one that needs bleeping to be aired, then the next step would be to contact the NGC registry staff and make them aware of the problem.

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback! I sent a message directly to the other member, who hopefully won't take offense. His set in question has 10,000 points, over 2,000 of which come from the mislabeled coin. It will still have a 6,000 point advantage over the second best one in the category, so I can't see a reason why someone would not want to have the correct label fixed by NGC due to mechanical error.

I have bought coins before knowing there was an error label and have sent them down to Tampa for correction without issue.

• Administrator

Thank you for the feedback, gentlemen. Customer Service can best assist with any label or "mechanical error" question, but of course we want to correct any label error. Quality assurance is of utmost importance to us. A coin that is obviously in the wrong place in the NGC Registry will be removed, and we will notify the collector. Many times, a collector hits the ADD COIN button in the NGC Registry and is unaware that his/her coin ended up in the wrong place. If you could provide us the details of the exact set or cert. number, we will have the coin removed. Thank you.