• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1890 CC Morgan, grade observations, pics included

18 posts in this topic

hello again and MERRY CHRISTMAS!! to all.  I purchased this morgan thinking it may be on the higher end of its assigned grade and thinking of sending to CAC.  Please review and see what grade you would assign and advise  thanks!!

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

The photos suggest MS-62 or possibly MS-63. Only a gold sticker would increase desirability, and that would not happen unless the coin were "graded" MS-60 or so.....Just a thought between eggnogs.

60. , 61 since it's a CC .. Your Prime focal area is a mess....

And the scratches on the reverse below the eagle are kinda deep

edited to ad Merry Christmas as well..:banana:

1689158264_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.01cdecba8bbcadf2de0931f735189ea6.jpg

921368231_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.ad94b4bde3381f922190dc651ffa0031.jpg

Edited by MAULEMALL

here is another example recently purchased that i also thought was at the high end of the grade.  please take a look and advise thoughts.  i will post actual graded slab photos later and also a same grade coin which led me to my thoughts. thanks!

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

Im no expert at all but I been trying to learn how to grade. Im just gonna take a wild guess at the second coin before the experts get on here. Wanna see how close I get. Im gonna say MS 62. Looks like a really good strike with lots of details but the bag marks on the devices will bring it down. Once again im no expert in any kind of way. Its just a noobie guess. 

8 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

The first and third coin each look MS62 to me and the second one, MS63. Even if they were to sticker (at whatever grades they are,) I don’t think it would make much difference for those coins.

thanks for the replies.    everyone was very spot on.  all three of the carson cities are MS62.  i have a bunch of 62 carson city morgans that look similar to the third coin and the first and second appear better.  I would have guessed the first and second MS63 and the third MS62.  I am wondering regardless of the value upgrade if anyone thinks these have a CAC shot now knowing the MS62 grades.  thanks for all the replies and merry christmas again.

18 minutes ago, Paul Hills said:

thanks for the replies.    everyone was very spot on.  all three of the carson cities are MS62.  i have a bunch of 62 carson city morgans that look similar to the third coin and the first and second appear better.  I would have guessed the first and second MS63 and the third MS62.  I am wondering regardless of the value upgrade if anyone thinks these have a CAC shot now knowing the MS62 grades.  thanks for all the replies and merry christmas again.

Im not sure about the CAC stickers. Im still very new to it all. But you have a Merry Christmas also. And nice coins. I dont have any Carson City dollars yet myself. But I saving my money up. I want a GSA CC dollar. Ive been putting 10 to 20 back a week for one. If I can quit spending it. Every time I save up a little I see a coin on Ebay I want. But I've filled several slots on my collection on other sets I been working on. 

I am uncertain if a CAC bean would "help" the value of any of these, but I consider the 1890 and 1880 as possible bean recipients.   However I would only submit those two if you have a collectors account where you do not pay for the rejects.  I would not send the 1881 and before you run off to the post office I would do some serious research to see if the value of having the bean offsets the cost to get it, its not just the review fee but also the postage both ways and that can really add up.

2 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

I am uncertain if a CAC bean would "help" the value of any of these, but I consider the 1890 and 1880 as possible bean recipients.   However I would only submit those two if you have a collectors account where you do not pay for the rejects.  I would not send the 1881 and before you run off to the post office I would do some serious research to see if the value of having the bean offsets the cost to get it, its not just the review fee but also the postage both ways and that can really add up.

thanks coinbuf.  point well taken as i would go registered mail fully insured if and when i decide to submit.  I contacted CAC from their website to sign up as a collector but it says up to 8 weeks to get approved.  just out of curiosity what grades would you have given them if you didnt know they were 62s coinbuf?  is the 1881 overgraded with the face beating it has??  i have several that appear to have been in the same fight and also appear to have lost the battle and yet the reverses are almost mark free.  I am beginning to wonder if i have some that are marginal 62s and the ones that i thought were close to 63 are just normal for the grade.  grading is very hard.  thanks again

3 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Not trying to knock your coin or nothing but just my opinion the 1904 looks over graded to me. I may be missing something but it is scratched up awful bad. Id guessed ms 62 just by the obverse if you hadn't told us. 

Merry Christmas Hoghead, Id share some of my Christmas Ham with you if I could. It was Delish

Edited by NevadaS&G

26 minutes ago, NevadaS&G said:

Merry Christmas Hoghead, Id share some of my Christmas Ham with you if I could. It was Delish

Merry Christmas to you also. We just got done eating one of the biggest meals I ever seen. I ate 2 big plate full.  I sure appreciate the offer. 

14 hours ago, Paul Hills said:

thanks coinbuf.  point well taken as i would go registered mail fully insured if and when i decide to submit.  I contacted CAC from their website to sign up as a collector but it says up to 8 weeks to get approved.  just out of curiosity what grades would you have given them if you didnt know they were 62s coinbuf?  is the 1881 overgraded with the face beating it has??  i have several that appear to have been in the same fight and also appear to have lost the battle and yet the reverses are almost mark free.  I am beginning to wonder if i have some that are marginal 62s and the ones that i thought were close to 63 are just normal for the grade.  grading is very hard.  thanks again

Grading can indeed be difficult with some coins and grades vary for coins that look similar within the same series at times.  In the past I have seen CC dollars seem (imo) to get a slight break when it comes to the number and perhaps even the placement of the bag marks.  The CC mint was in a remote location and the freshly minted coins were transported from the mint in wagons across rutted bumpy roads.  So its no surprise that many of the CC dollars are found with numerous and rather severe bag marks when compared to coins minted at San Francisco.   I would have called the 1890 as MS63, the 1880 as an MS62 (but would not have been surprised if it was MS63) and the 1881 MS61 (but also not totally surprised at the MS62 grade).

Just to expand on the bean thing, I think the 1881 has no chance at all, the 1880 (while by no means a lock) has the best chance to bean, and the 1890 I give a it a 50/50 dice roll.  The obverse of the 1890 is solid to upper end of the grade, but I am wondering if the parallel lines that @MAULEMALL pointed out will hold it back.