• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inherited coins

71 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, JimL55 said:

It's pretty hard getting good photos with my phone but I'll try

Try turning off the phone's flash or light and using only diffuse skylight coming in a window.

Approximate values based on metal content and quantities from the OP’s post:

25 gold Eagles                        $1,200 ea, $  30,000

300 Swiss francs (20 Fr)         $   350 ea. $105,000

5 Maple leafs                           $1,850 ea. $    9,250

186 silver Liberty dollars        $     35 ea. $    6,510

1000 Silver Kennedy halves   $                $    9,350 (1964 date)

Total approx. $160,110. Assuming all are genuine and in AU/Unc condition.

Edited by RWB

1 hour ago, JimL55 said:

I have 25 gold Eagles, 300 Swiss francs, 15 Maple leafs, 186 silver Liberty dollars and 1000 Silver Kennedy halfs

Oh. I don't know what a silver Liberty dollar is, but now that I know you have about 100 times more coins than I thought, that helps establish the context. Do you mean Swiss 20 franc coins like the one you pictured?

54 minutes ago, JKK said:

Oh. I don't know what a silver Liberty dollar is, but now that I know you have about 100 times more coins than I thought, that helps establish the context. Do you mean Swiss 20 franc coins like the one you pictured?

Yes all pre 1930

1 hour ago, RWB said:

Try turning off the phone's flash or light and using only diffuse skylight coming in a window.

Approximate values based on metal content and quantities from the OP’s post:

25 gold Eagles                        $1,200 ea, $  30,000

300 Swiss francs (20 Fr)         $   350 ea. $105,000

5 Maple leafs                           $1,850 ea. $    9,250

186 silver Liberty dollars        $     35 ea. $    6,510

1000 Silver Kennedy halves   $                $    9,350 (1964 date)

Total approx. $160,110. Assuming all are genuine and in AU/Unc condition.

RWB thank you for giving me an approximate value. Now I have something to go by

Just now, JimL55 said:

RWB thank you for giving me an approximate value. Now I have something to go by

When my Dad bought the Kennedys from Goldline International I think he got ripped off. He paid $17 apiece for them. I heard there was a lawsuit where they agreed to buy them back but I can't seem to find any info

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

Obviously rare dates/mm coins are different and sell for different amounts than common date/mm coins.  Context matters and when you just pull one sentence out of a post the context is lost.

You're right. The reference to 1914, a pivotal date in my series, threw the thread for me. I assume a Liberty dollar is what we commonly call an American Silver Eagle. Is it your understanding, as it is mine, that the OP has 186 1986 ASE's? And if so, and in "mint" condition, they will likely enjoy a higher profile numismatically than your average generic bullion silver date? Many thanx!

2 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

You're right. The reference to 1914, a pivotal date in my series, threw the thread for me. I assume a Liberty dollar is what we commonly call an American Silver Eagle. Is it your understanding, as it is mine, that the OP has 186 1986 ASE's? And if so, and in "mint" condition, they will likely enjoy a higher profile numismatically than your average generic bullion silver date? Many thanx!

5 million plus minted

1986 Silver was between 5 and 6 dollars an ounce

26 aprox today..

No premium to an un graded silver eagle

Silver Eagles Mintage Chart by Year - ModernCoinMart

Edited by MAULEMALL

3 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

20201217_140709.thumb.jpg.3f3fda1bb2cfecdf634c7f250f3eac0f.jpg20201217_140727.thumb.jpg.0e19ab4b37137a00180c3e07fbffa879.jpg

16 hours ago, JimL55 said:

When my Dad bought the Kennedys from Goldline International I think he got ripped off. He paid $17 apiece for them. I heard there was a lawsuit where they agreed to buy them back but I can't seem to find any info

He bought 1,000 1964 Kennedy halves for $17 each? That is "criminal" of the seller. One can hope he did not pay similar markups on the other coins.

36 minutes ago, JimL55 said:

What's EF?

Sorry--- "EF" = "Extremely Fine." Minor wear on highest points and fields; all design details clear but wear is evident. Gold coins taken from international trade are often found in EF condition, largely due to repeated handling by clerks in counting and rebagging.

Just now, RWB said:

Sorry--- "EF" = "Extremely Fine." Minor wear on highest points and fields; all design details clear but wear is evident. Gold coins taken from international trade are often found in EF condition, largely due to repeated handling by clerks in counting and rebagging.

The only better circulated coin grade is AU = About Uncirculated. An AU coin will have only a trace of abrasion/wear on the highest points and minor disturbance of field luster. (Note that my definition of "AU" does not permit any of the Eagle you illustrated to be called "AU." Some TPGs and others disagree that strict interpretation. Some will go so far as to label a coin with obvious wear "MS" "Mint State" as if everyone else is blind to the falsehood.)

Just now, RWB said:

The only better circulated coin grade is AU = About Uncirculated. An AU coin will have only a trace of abrasion/wear on the highest points and minor disturbance of field luster. (Note that my definition of "AU" does not permit any of the Eagle you illustrated to be called "AU." Some TPGs and others disagree that strict interpretation. Some will go so far as to label a coin with obvious wear "MS" "Mint State" as if everyone else is blind to the falsehood.)

The ANA Grading Guide will give you useful definitions for circulated coin grades.

It's also a cautionary tale of the lengths to which "telemarketing crooks" will go to cheat people. $17 each for 1964 Kennedy halves is an all too common occurrence. We'll see much more of this as the generation of victims from the 80s die off.

Since the hobby/business lacks standards and a strong hobby protection organization, it is extremely difficult to bring a successful prosecution against the crooks.

Edited by RWB

38 minutes ago, RWB said:

It's also a cautionary tale of the lengths to which "telemarketing crooks" will go to cheat people. $17 each for 1964 Kennedy halves is an all too common occurrence. We'll see much more of this as the generation of victims from the 80s die off.

Since the hobby/business lacks standards and a strong hobby protection organization, it is extremely to bring a successful prosecution against the crooks.

As I posted above, Without knowing when they were purchased your claim (unfounded at this time) Is right up there with Nevadas PCGS slanders...

7 hours ago, MAULEMALL said:

As I posted above, Without knowing when they were purchased your claim (unfounded at this time) Is right up there with Nevadas PCGS slanders...

I have the bill of sale with the date and sales person

4 hours ago, JimL55 said:

I have the bill of sale with the date and sales person

Given the amount on money involved, it might be useful to check with an estate accountant to see if it is possible to use your father's basis in the coins rather than the inherited basis -- too many variables in your individual situation to suggest more things. Hopefully, you have access to receipts for the other coins also although the gold likely cost less than the inherited basis.

Edited by RWB

9 hours ago, RWB said:

Given the amount on money involved, it might be useful to check with an estate accountant to see if it is possible to use your father's basis in the coins rather than the inherited basis -- too many variables in your individual situation to suggest more things. Hopefully, you have access to receipts for the other coins also although the gold likely cost less than the inherited basis.

No receipts or records for the gold coins