• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

February Long Beach Show has been canceled.

8 posts in this topic

Maybe, but then again how many sellers and buyers will have become comfortable with this new virtual buying format and forgo shows altogether.  One seller ATS was just discussing doing just that, he claims his sales have never been better so he plans to forgo the costs of setting up at shows and only go there to buy.  His hope is to expand his virtual presence and reduce the overhead of the shows, as I'm not a dealer I have no idea of how sound this plan is but it might work to his advantage.  As the virus is here to stay and will need constant shots and attention I just do not know how large shows will go.  But I suspect that by fall 2021 we should be able to have a Long Beach Fun, or ANA show which may give us some idea of how shows will go moving forward.

Personally I never go to any shows save the occasional LB as that I can drive to and back in a day, the cost of flying, hotels, car rental/other transportation to attend any other shows would eat up any money I would have to spend at a show so not really any point.

I get cutting back on expenses and I see how going to shows can add up.  You clearly DO NOT need to go to them if you are a dealer as often as you did 20 or 30 or 40 years ago.

As someone who went to his first non-local show only this year (FUN in January), I had a blast.  Yeah, it probably cost me $1,000 before I spent a single dollar but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

4 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Maybe, but then again how many sellers and buyers will have become comfortable with this new virtual buying format and forgo shows altogether.  One seller ATS was just discussing doing just that, he claims his sales have never been better so he plans to forgo the costs of setting up at shows and only go there to buy.

If enough dealers start thinking the same way the ANA shows might return to what they were a little over a hundred years ago.  They would visit, hob-nob, and attend educational talks/lectures, and the coin trading took place in the hotel rooms.

Can a veteran here give me their thoughts on The Big 3:  ANA vs. Long Beach vs. FUN ?  In terms of overall attendance, number of vendors, "enthusiasn", trends the last few years and last 10-20 years. 

The one advantage that FUN has is that all the collectors in the Northeast who are in the cold of winter get to go down to Florida for a few days in January.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

10 hours ago, Conder101 said:

If enough dealers start thinking the same way the ANA shows might return to what they were a little over a hundred years ago.  They would visit, hob-nob, and attend educational talks/lectures, and the coin trading took place in the hotel rooms.

How is that different from today? 

It seems Condor just described the current situation.

I feel like Long Beach in June has a shot of happening, it just depends on the true effectiveness of the vaccine and how many people take it without serious side effects. There will have to be a shift of consciousness too. 

We just went to the Collectorama show in Lakeland, FL about a month ago mainly to trade with dealers. Attendance by dealers was pretty good, the public seemed a little apprehensive, but we left by Friday. Maybe weekend traffic was better.