• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spot developed on slabbed 2020 ASE

6 posts in this topic

So, I hope this isn't a dumb question, but I am curious as to what is happening. I have a slabbed 2020 ASE (first day emergency issue), in MS69. 

In looking at it, I see the coin has developed a spot (see attached image), that didn't seem to be there on the verification photo of the coin. 

I like the coin, but I am worried it will get worse, and will no longer meet MS69. Is there anything that can be done? The case is still sealed, so I am not worrying that it was switched, but disappointed to see it happen..

20201208_150021.jpg

Looks like and probably is a milk spot/s, TPGs don't guarantee that they won't show up after encapsulation and they can't be removed without altering the surface of the coin. Milk spots can appear at anytime even years down the road. They will get worse (darker) and the coin is no longer a MS69.

Here's a link to our hosts opinion of them. https://www.ngccoin.com/submit/coins-we-grade/white-spots/ 

Not a milk spot.  Something organic got in there before it was sealed and has now degraded. the organic mater or it breakdown products have reacted with the silver causing the spot.  No there is nothing that can be done short of cracking it out and conserving ot dipping it, and even then there will probably be traces of the spot remaining.  The guarantee does not cover coins that "go bad" after they are encapsulated so there is no option there either.  I am afraid you are just stuck with a spotted emergency issue MS-69 ASE that won't bring MS-69 money.

That was my fear Conder - nothing I saw about mill spots shows a dark core spot.. I was thinking skin flake, etc...

Though, as you say, if there isn't a remedy either way, I'll just leave it and enjoy it for what it is. 2020 is a blot on the calendar.. figures I would have a blotting 2020 coin..

32 minutes ago, Madcat207 said:

That was my fear Conder - nothing I saw about mill spots shows a dark core spot.. I was thinking skin flake, etc...

Though, as you say, if there isn't a remedy either way, I'll just leave it and enjoy it for what it is. 2020 is a blot on the calendar.. figures I would have a blotting 2020 coin..

Don't feel alone. I got a blotted 2020 ASE to. Maybe they both got the covid. Lol. The crazy thing is, my dumb @$$ sent mine in and got it slabbed knowing the spot was on there. I wasn't gonna tell on myself at first but it didn't take these old boys long to notice and call me out. Lol 20201117_182845.thumb.jpg.4aeafe80cd9e85877f72802a98147a0b.jpg

The spot was caused by contamination after the coin was struck. Since it was removed from the Mint's original packaging, no one can determine where in the handling chain the contamination occurred. Each time a coin is removed from its packaging (plastic holder) the chances of contamination increase. The defect, once visible, cannot be corrected.