• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 sms nickel
1 1

25 posts in this topic

If you believe it's an SMS example, you should submit it for grading. My guess is that you don't and won't, even though you apparently thought it worthy of two different threads,. 

4 hours ago, MAULEMALL said:

That's a nice nickel..^^

The nickel is a very nice proof from 1964.If the obverse is as frosty as Monticello then you could have a nice cameo proof nickel ...

Most proof sets i come across from 64 only get half cameos.. either the obverse or reverse...  Good luck.:popcorn:

There are no SMS 1964 coins. There were no SMS sets. The OP's coin is not one of the first coins off a new die pair for 1964.

4 hours ago, RWB said:

There are no SMS 1964 coins. There were no SMS sets. The OP's coin is not one of the first coins off a new die pair for 1964.

I don't know about that. Maybe if I can talk him into taking a few more pictures and a couple more videos of it , it might change your mind. 😉

23 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

I don't know about that. Maybe if I can talk him into taking a few more pictures and a couple more videos of it , it might change your mind. 😉

Please god NOOOOOO!,lol we got enough proof ,no pun intended. But RWB is correct SMS 's were introduced in 65  for the deletion of silver in the quarter mintage's At least thats what I read or think I read....... 

The coins incorrectly referred to as "1964 SMS" are nothing but very early strikes off new dies. Examples from the DM are in Smithsonian. They are a NORMAL part of the products from entirely NORMAL dies and NORMAL die use. They are NOT specially made as were the 1965-1967 Special Mint Set coins.

6 hours ago, RWB said:

"My broker is E.F. Hutton. And when E.F. Hutton talks, people listen." Anyone old enough to remember that?  😉