• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a proof large cent?

7 posts in this topic

There is only one variety of 1817 that comes as a proof N-6 and there are only two known, There is one specimen of N-9 that has been called a "one sided" proof.  Your coin is either a N-6 or N-7 and high grade specimans of both are "common".

Thats a nice looking coin Ratzie. I currently don't own any of those yet. I finally got the opportunity to get a 1802 draped bust large cent but its not very good quality and it looks like its been cleaned. But it still interesting to get to hold something in your hand with that much history behind it. Wonder who alls had it and what its purchased back in those days. I love the history behind it these old coins. 

No, but a nice looking 1817. A "master coin" of that era would be very sharply detailed, crisp denticles and a mirrored surface - although not as deep as a modern proof. There is considerable disagreement about the "proofyness" of some early master coins. Unfortunately, your coin would not be part of the discussion.

Conder101's comments are spot on.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It looks as though it may have been gently "whizzed," that is, polished with a rotary tool brush.