• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MORGAN DOLLAR / reverse question/ pics included

17 posts in this topic

hello again,  many thanks to those who provided great info on my last post.  I just purchased this coin as a more eye appealing double.  I noticed a flat "burnished" looking area above the eagle on the reverse and was wondering what that is all about??   also,  these pics were from the site i purchased so i hope i am not violating any rules by posting.  I only wish i could take pics like these.  thanks in advance

0071846236495282_obv.thumb.jpg.b8f628d3c452a99cece684083b11bf96.jpg0071846236495282_rev.thumb.jpg.485f3fd5e87573af7591a67fe38d2c1b.jpg

2 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

I cannot tell from that photo.

I can’t either, but if I had to guess, I think it might be light haze on the coin. Edited to add - my second guess would be cloudiness on the holder, itself. Bottom line, I think Coinbuf got it right.

Edited by MarkFeld

The coin was struck from clashed dies. This might have imparted a slightly different field texture to the part of the coin below the motto and also to right of the eagle (compare texture to left and right of the < shape line).

The vertical line below the word IN is part of Liberty's throat on the obverse. The < shaped line to right of the eagle's wing comes from the back of Liberty's head. The gentle curve at lower left is Liberty's profile. (See arrows on illustration.)

clash.jpg

Edited by RWB

3 hours ago, RWB said:

The coin was struck from clashed dies. This might have imparted a slightly different field texture to the part of the coin below the motto and also to right of the eagle (compare texture to left and right of the < shape line).

The vertical line below the word IN is part of Liberty's throat on the obverse. The < shaped line to right of the eagle's wing comes from the back of Liberty's head. The gentle curve at lower left is Liberty's profile. (See arrows on illustration.)

clash.jpg

wow that is an amazing observation    i can clearly see it now that you have pointed it out. THANKS RWB!!

The VAMworld.com site has more extensive information die clashes, cracks and other interesting defects/errors. Also, the members there are collectors of silver dollar varieties and can help with answers to your questions. There are lots of photos and information on taking coin photos.

On 12/5/2020 at 5:30 PM, RWB said:

clash.jpg

I’m blown away by the sheer professionalism of RWB’s observations which can’t be faulted in any way. We desperately need this level of American numismatic expertise in British numismatics. We have nothing like it this side of the pond.

S3R3NDIPITY,

Thank you for your kind and generous remarks. :)

American numismatics, having a much shorter history than Britain, has placed more emphasis on varieties and production irregularities. However, the techniques and approach for British coins would be nearly identical, so anyone with a good knowledge of 19th-20th century coinage should be able to replicate the process and results. There is also a major advantage for British collectors - the magnificent archives of the Royal Mint and Bank of England, plus the Gold Guild archives for 18th and 19th century. On top of that there is the outstanding metallurgical research of Sir. William Chandler Roberts-Austen.

Sadly, the US Mint Bureau never maintained its own history, operations, processes, production details and related materials... Us poor Colonials have been trying to figure out how our Mints really worked for decades. That has been the overall focus of my research for a long time, and it is only now that the discoveries are beginning to percolate to the hobby and business of American Numismatics. I'll mention, specifically, the book From Mine to Mint as a beginning compilation of US Mint operations, equipment, and processes for those interested in the subjects.

Edited by RWB

2 hours ago, RWB said:

S3R3NDIPITY,

Thank you for your kind and generous remarks. :)

American numismatics, having a much shorter history than Britain, has placed more emphasis on varieties and production irregularities. However, the techniques and approach for British coins would be nearly identical, so anyone with a good knowledge of 19th-20th century coinage should be able to replicate the process and results. There is also a major advantage for British collectors - the magnificent archives of the Royal Mint and Bank of England, plus the Gold Guild archives for 18th and 19th century. On top of that there is the outstanding metallurgical research of Sir. William Chandler Roberts-Austen.

Sadly, the US Mint Bureau never maintained its own history, operations, processes, production details and related materials... Us poor Colonials have been trying to figure out how our Mints really worked for decades. That has been the overall focus of my research for a long time, and it is only now that the discoveries are beginning to percolate to the hobby and business of American Numismatics. I'll mention, specifically, the book From Mine to Mint as a beginning compilation of US Mint operations, equipment, and processes for those interested in the subjects.

Do you have a website that you sell your books on. Im going to request one to my old lady and hopefully I'll have one in my stocking Christmas morning. Also which one would you recommend to the new collector. Ive read a few things from you online and I can't wait to read one of your masterpieces. Im going to eventually try to collect them all. Also do you ever do book signings. One of these days down the road I'd like to meet you and get you to sign a couple of them. I love reading your post you write up. You are overflowing with knowledge. 

Thank you very much sir. Im probably going to start off with From Mine to Mint. Ill get it from Wizard. Ill start from the beginning. Im pretty excited to learn how they minted them back in the day. 

1 hour ago, Hoghead515 said:

Do you have a website that you sell your books on. Im going to request one to my old lady and hopefully I'll have one in my stocking Christmas morning. Also which one would you recommend to the new collector. Ive read a few things from you online and I can't wait to read one of your masterpieces. Im going to eventually try to collect them all. Also do you ever do book signings. One of these days down the road I'd like to meet you and get you to sign a couple of them. I love reading your post you write up. You are overflowing with knowledge. 

Mine to Mint is excellent, one of my favorites. 

5 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

Thank you very much sir. Im probably going to start off with From Mine to Mint. Ill get it from Wizard. Ill start from the beginning. Im pretty excited to learn how they minted them back in the day. 

From Mine to Mint comes with a *.pdf version on CD. This is fully searchable by any word, phrase or collection of words - so it replaces a conventional index. The book begins roughly in the mid-1830s. Feedback from other readers suggests that you take your time and "browse" through the material. It's densely packed even at 550 pages. Also, if you want to use some of it for a coin club presentation or article, just let me know so I can provide original images -- as long as it's educational use and not for commercial/sales use it's OK.

Edited by RWB

21 minutes ago, RWB said:

From Mine to Mint comes with a *.pdf version on CD. This is fully searchable by any word, phrase or collection of words - so it replaces a conventional index. The book begins roughly in the mid-1830s. Feedback from other readers suggests that you take your time and "browse" through the material. It's densely packed even at 550 pages. Also, if you want to use some of it for a coin club presentation or article, just let me know so I can provide original images -- as long as it's educational use and not for commercial/sales use it's OK.

Thank you so much. When its bad weather out and I don't get much work I really enjoy reading. I like reading anytime but can do it more in the winter months. Im really looking forward to it.