• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toned W Quarter
1 1

7 posts in this topic

One of my 2019 w quarters started toning rapidly. I got this quarter out of some change last year and it looked normal. I started looking thru some of my coins and noticed it is turning blue and purple. What could it came in contact with that would make it change that quickly. I never exposed it to nothing. I had it in a clean dry place so it must have happened before I got it. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you all for helping me.  (Its only on the obverse)20201202_180257.thumb.jpg.922ffc7b9ba5c74e6ff37695e35ae99e.jpg

I would think that something got on it at one time. I would think that being a clad, these aren't going to tone that fast and especially those colors. I have one that has some golden and very light blue colors, but it is a 2001. 

Edited by bsshog40

2 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

I would think that something got on it at one time. I would think that being a clad, these aren't going to tone that fast and especially those colors. I have one that has some golden and very light blue colors, but it is a 

Thats what I was thinking. Most the stuff I saw said it takes years. I figured someone may have had it in pocket and lighter fluid or something like that may have got on it. I been sitting and thinking of all kinds of scenarios. Its hard telling what all chemicals could probably cause it. Thank you for your help. 

1 minute ago, Hoghead515 said:

Thats what I was thinking. Most the stuff I saw said it takes years. I figured someone may have had it in pocket and lighter fluid or something like that may have got on it. I been sitting and thinking of all kinds of scenarios. Its hard telling what all chemicals could probably cause it. Thank you for your help. 

Yea finding out what did it can almost be impossible. Could even be skin oil. 

Its a pretty color but I personally don't like artificial toning. I guess it would probably fall under that category wouldn't it? It just don't seem right to me to tone one on purpose. But in this case it was accidental I suppose. I love the old natural toned coins though. 

3 minutes ago, Cash mike said:

Still a good coin worth noting.save it for observations sake!

Id like to see what it looks like in a few years. If it tones on out or anything. Or gets different colors to it.