• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Die crack question
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hello all. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and is over the tryptophan trance lol.  Just curious as to what point a die crack coin becomes worth more than the face value of the coin. I have  read somewhere in the past that “all” die cracks are deemed mint errors but not sure which ones would be considered collectibles. I’ve seen a lot of smaller die cracks, die chips, etc... on Lincoln’s but they (cracks) predominantly just come off the edge of the coin and do not travel very far. Found this one today and it’s by far the best one I have ever found. Just curious if there’s any value on such a well defined and long crack such as this one. Thanks. 

A68EBA69-6AE8-40D6-A061-376175B92698.jpeg

C101A02F-3E6C-4D47-8775-D0B9C5809A9F.jpeg

The diagonal mark on the reverse is a scratch - possibly made with a knife blade. Die cracks follow weakness in a die's metal crystal structure and they are very, very rarely straight.

There will undoubtedly be those who read Mr. Burdette's reply, and say, "But, the line appears to be raised. Doesn't that mean it has to be caused by the die?"

A scratch will displace, and therefore raise metal above the surface, which makes it appear to be a die issue, rather than a coin issue. I know that to be true, because I have intentionally scratched coins of many types, just to see the results.

36 minutes ago, RWB said:

The diagonal mark on the reverse is a scratch - possibly made with a knife blade. Die cracks follow weakness in a die's metal crystal structure and they are very, very rarely straight.

Man..... I’m going to have to look closer at this one. Completely fooled me!! Thanks RWB

7 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

There will undoubtedly be those who read Mr. Burdette's reply, and say, "But, the line appears to be raised. Doesn't that mean it has to be caused by the die?"

A scratch will displace, and therefore raise metal above the surface, which makes it appear to be a die issue, rather than a coin issue. I know that to be true, because I have intentionally scratched coins of many types, just to see the results.

What got me is it looks like its cut down into the rim of the coin at the top of the picture 

6 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Thanks Just Bob. As I quoted RWB, this one fooled me for sure if that’s a scratch. No way I’m doubting either of you guys. Thanks for your lessons here. 

1 minute ago, Hoghead515 said:

What got me is it looks like its cut down into the rim of the coin at the top of the picture 

I do see that nick now from the pic I posted on the rim. Guess I should have pulled out my loupe on this one. It just looked to be an obviously apparent crack. Not with the coin right now but when I get back home I’ll check it out more thoroughly. Thanks. 

Got home a little while ago and pulled this Lincoln out and took these pics. There’s no doubt this is a very fine scratch that caused the misinterpretation on my part. I never would have realized the extremely narrow “gouge” or scratch until I looked at it under much higher magnification. Excellent call and judgement on everyone’s part, thank you.
I’m supplying these close up pics for educational purposes in the effort that it may help new collectors realize what the difference is between a die crack and a scratch. I definitely learned on this one. A good loupe is your best friend in determining a mint error from a coin error no doubt. Thanks!

BDBE96FE-BF9E-4282-BE07-9212DA097550.jpeg

48F0820D-8C2B-4CA9-94BD-EE3EB8939B69.jpeg

732F9EDF-9133-4FC6-BC72-EC355E7EFE1D.jpeg

29E91CE3-C9CF-4D29-B91C-FA6B4986FCCF.jpeg