• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is about to get interesting..
1 1

147 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

Why wouldn't he?  They don't give samples.  In fact they can't, the distillery is in Lynchburg TN in Moore county, a dry county.since 1910.

Yea. I was joking around a little. We were on our way to a job site. We couldn't have tried none if we wanted to. That was back in 2000. I just had graduated high school and never been out of the holler before in my life. I remember it being a good time getting to see it and all the other sight seeing. I can't remember exactly where it was but we also stopped and seen a big cave. I remember we had to take an elevator down into it and it had a great big waterfall down inside of it. It was pretty cool to see. 

2 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Yea. I was joking around a little. We were on our way to a job site. We couldn't have tried none if we wanted to. That was back in 2000. I just had graduated high school and never been out of the holler before in my life. I remember it being a good time getting to see it and all the other sight seeing. I can't remember exactly where it was but we also stopped and seen a big cave. I remember we had to take an elevator down into it and it had a great big waterfall down inside of it. It was pretty cool to see. 

I was also under age at the time. They wouldn't have gave me none anyways 

Ok, this is what is going on with Great Collections. They are returning 17 of the coins and only going to auction 3 of them. I had to sell all of my silver to the local coin shop except for a quarter and mercy dime. Took a big loss. I'm just going to put everything on eBay, even my sports collectibles. Auction them all. It's been rough.

11 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

Ok, this is what is going on with Great Collections. They are returning 17 of the coins and only going to auction 3 of them. I had to sell all of my silver to the local coin shop except for a quarter and mercy dime. Took a big loss. I'm just going to put everything on eBay, even my sports collectibles. Auction them all. It's been rough.

You get em on Ebay ill take a look thru em. 

12 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

You get em on Ebay ill take a look thru em. 

Ok, I will let you know. Thanks. Might just sell them as a lot on ebay. Thanks.They only want to auction my 2019 W MS64, 2020 MS 65W quarters and a 2019 D MS65 quarter. Weird.

11 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

Ok, I will let you know. Thanks. Might just sell them as a lot on ebay. Thanks.They only want to auction my 2019 W MS64, 2020 MS 65W quarters and a 2019 D MS65 quarter. Weird.

Share me a link as well. Thanks in advance 

8 minutes ago, rocket23 said:

Share me a link as well. Thanks in advance 

Thanks Rocket. I do not want to photograph 17 coins I've been really busy over on Facebook. I posted a photo and it went viral. 4,700 friends. It is a full time job now.

1 hour ago, Modwriter said:

Thanks Rocket. I do not want to photograph 17 coins I've been really busy over on Facebook. I posted a photo and it went viral. 4,700 friends. It is a full time job now.

Ill try look you up on fb. I dont get on it a whole lot anymore. All the friends I got is all around over here where I live. All they want to post is what they are eating,where they used the bathroom at last, and stuff like that. Drives me crazy. I can look at 10 post and 9 of them are pictures of the dinner they cooked. 

13 minutes ago, Lancek said:

When I first read you sent stuff to GC, I wondered if that was a good idea.  Seems like most of your stuff is recent date, pulled from circulation.  The W have value, but not much else.  Sure, GC only takes 5%, compared to ebay/pp 13%, but they have listing fees too.  $3-5. Not a big deal if you have $100 plus coins.  But a $10 coin, half your sale is eaten up by fees.  They prob did you a favor sending them back.  They have a service where you can request an estimate ahead of time for what your coins might sell for.  That's what I did, and I realized half of what I wanted to send in wasn't worth it.  

With what I did send in I netted $500 after fees/commission.  So I was happy with their service.

Thanks for the info Lance. Not having coin shows is a big hurt too. 

1 minute ago, Lancek said:

When I first read you sent stuff to GC, I wondered if that was a good idea.  Seems like most of your stuff is recent date, pulled from circulation.  The W have value, but not much else.  Sure, GC only takes 5%, compared to ebay/pp 13%, but they have listing fees too.  $3-5. Not a big deal if you have $100 plus coins.  But a $10 coin, half your sale is eaten up by fees.  They prob did you a favor sending them back.  They have a service where you can request an estimate ahead of time for what your coins might sell for.  That's what I did, and I realized half of what I wanted to send in wasn't worth it.  

With what I did send in I netted $500 after fees/commission.  So I was happy with their service.

Thank you sincerely, Lancek, for your Public Service Announcement.

It seems like I am being bombarded by those who've expressed an interest in moving my collection, including GC.  When I was much younger, I was only interested in filling the holes.  Now that I am much older, I've set my sights much higher and though my collection is complete, I won't feel comfortable letting it go until it is as close to perfection as possible.  I think a number of us feel the same way.

On 12/8/2020 at 7:23 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Ill try look you up on fb. I dont get on it a whole lot anymore. All the friends I got is all around over here where I live. All they want to post is what they are eating,where they used the bathroom at last, and stuff like that. Drives me crazy. I can look at 10 post and 9 of them are pictures of the dinner they cooked. 

On 12/8/2020 at 7:23 PM, Hoghead515 said:

disregard the quotes,

flea bay is giving 200 free selling listings per month...no fees with auctions....that I'm aware of.

3 hours ago, rocket23 said:

Ahh the three they actually accepted. What about the rest?

This, in a nutshell, is why I have refrained from getting involved in these auctions. A quick look at prior sessions should let you know where you stand and what your chances are, taking into consideration prevailing sentiment and the situation in the marketplace, as to whether you will succeed as well as you feel you should.  I am no expert, but I do know speaking strictly for myself, the difference between a complete collection -- and one that exudes greatness, and mine still has a ways to go.  I wish you the best of luck on the lots GC has accepted.

3 hours ago, rocket23 said:

I’m confused. What does a complete collection have to do with how well a site does for selling off some stuff?? Btw everything this week sold out. Woohoo!!

Quintus is befuddling today:juggle:

On 12/11/2020 at 12:05 AM, Modwriter said:

This forum has censorship. 

True, but my Number One follower is also my Number One ignorer, as of necessity. (Considering the inordinate amount of time she is forced to spend poring over my comments with a fine-toothed comb, I am surprised no one higher up hasn't broached the subject of charging me pro-rata for her time).

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Missing letter.

43 minutes ago, MAULEMALL said:

Quintus is befuddling today:juggle:

Not really.  Modwriter has a total of 20 coins, only three of which are headed for the auction block.  A complete collection does not necessarily qualify as a Great Collection.  I don't know what specific coins Modwriter has collected or whether they reside in a Set Registry but he is apparently honest and humble enough to suggest he instinctively knows what he's got, if complete, does not constitute greatness. What would make it Great?  Only he knows for sure.  I wish him the best on his lots.  It is never easy to let a collection laboriously compiled over time go -- and many members never do -- but it is an eventuality we all acknowledge and face, one way or the other.