• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 penny
1 1

11 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2020 at 2:50 AM, JKK said:

Unless Cu has fallen off the price table, it's worth a little more than a penny for the metal value.

just where in the USA would one sell this for its metal content?

1 minute ago, Moxie15 said:

just where in the USA would one sell this for its metal content?

There's a local (Portland) place that buys bulk copper pennies. The contents of their kick-out bin are often foreign, and they assemble those into albums and sell them at local coin shows. I usually stop by their booth.

1 minute ago, Cresencio said:

I actually have tones im collecting since l was young, but do know how much their value from 1960's- 2017 

Not much.

Selling more than $4 for the metal content is a federal offence

US cents are bronze and not copper, so you would only get the 'red brass' price (1.45 per pound at close today)

These two facts leave me wondering about the business buying them

1 hour ago, Moxie15 said:

US cents are bronze and not copper, so you would only get the 'red brass' price (1.45 per pound at close today)

These two facts leave me wondering about the business buying them

Maybe so. I've never visited their operation, just talked with their representatives at shows.

12 hours ago, Moxie15 said:

Nope.  Taking more than $5 out of the country is illegal though.

You can buy and sell them for the metal value all you want.  You just can't melt them down.  And if you can't melt them, you can't really use the metal for anything making them an albatross.

1 hour ago, Conder101 said:

Nope.  Taking more than $5 out of the country is illegal though.

You can buy and sell them for the metal value all you want.  You just can't melt them down.  And if you can't melt them, you can't really use the metal for anything making them an albatross.

As a former scrap seller there is no difference from what I said and what you said. You can buy and sell cents at any price you want but there is no logic in buying at scrap metal value if you cannot scrap them. That is why I wonder about the company mentioned. Every scrap buyer I have dealt with would not touch them. Likewise the precious metal dealers would not buy them, coin dealers would not buy memorial backs, so why buy them?

I suppose if you buy them from someone, melt them down, then bring them to a metals buyer you could do it. But I expect you would operate at a loss.

Edited by Moxie15
edited to add