• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1881 Morgan worth getting graded?

8 posts in this topic

Looks like maybe MS61 or 62. Has some bad chatter on the cheek and I'm not too sure but that rim damage may just bodybag it. I'd say No!

Edited by bsshog40

I don't see any obvious signs of cleaning and it does not look polished, however it appears to be AU or maybe low MS and the obv rim damage gives it less than a 50% chance of getting a straight grade and will imo be given an AU details grade.  While 1881 is a slightly better date you can buy a slabbed straight graded AU58-MS62 examples for around $50-$60 at auction just about any day, so given the low value and high chance of a detail grade this would not be a good coin to spend the money to have graded/slabbed.

From your photos the 1880-S looks to have been polished again, but that aside the 1880-S is one of the most common Morgan dollars you will ever find.  Because of the huge numbers that are available already slabbed there is no reason to ever spend money to slab one of this date unless it is an uber gem, which yours is not, so once again I would advice not to submit.

"No," to both coins. They are common dates with a common amount of wear. "Grading" would cost as much or more than the coins are worth.