• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mercury Dime 1941/42 what's the right "tier" for grading?

6 posts in this topic

Can you post a sharp, full coin image of obverse and reverse?

Here is a short article that might help you.

https://coinweek.com/counterfeits/counterfeit-coin-detection-194241-mercury-dime-overdate/

After members see the full coin photos, they can probably give you a reasonable idea of insurance value. Use this when sending the coin to NGC for authentication and grading. BUT - Chinese and at least one domestic counterfeiter are producing highly deceptive fakes, so collect opinions before sending it off.

Not the best photos but my wag grade is AU58 no FB, so the early bird/standard tier is the one I would use, that tier is for coins valued from $300 up to 3K.  Even if I'm off and it grades low MS say 62-63 it would still fall into the same tier as those sell for around 3K.  To get to 10K you would need it to grade MS66, and from your photos I see no chance of that.

A coin sent in for grading needs a tier? Wouldn't the grading evaluate the coin to the correct tier? Asking for a friend,

I sent my coins in as mint error inspection....what do I know....short answer, not much.