• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magnifying glass

12 posts in this topic

Hello all, Been gathering coins that I have left laying all over the house and putting them in one place, will be going through them soon to see what I have.  My nephew is coming home for the Thanksgiving Holiday and will be coming here to help the Tuesday before thanksgiving, will be a good time!!  Anyhow, he was suggesting that I get a really good magnifying glass for us both so we an see things clearly.  What is a good magnifying glass to look at coins with?  Please don't suggest a phone app as his girlfriend did, I'm not into that.  Thanks to all, be safe.

I'd just get one of the ones that elderly people use to do their crossword puzzles and read the TV guide.

If you want to do it somewhat like a coin person (and I am not implying you should), get an inexpensive handheld 5x loupe. Dealers sell them. If you want to go whole hog, which depending on your vision might not be a bad idea, spring for a 10x loupe that sits over the coin.

One other good option that's really convenient is a headset with magnification lenses you can lower. I have one of those for when working on a large number of coins. One of the best places to shop for visual aids is the one most people never think of: the local center for the blind. It stands to reason that they would have excellent selections in a wide variety, and it's also nice for one's purchase to support a worthy cause.

6 minutes ago, JKK said:

I'd just get one of the ones that elderly people use to do their crossword puzzles and read the TV guide.

If you want to do it somewhat like a coin person (and I am not implying you should), get an inexpensive handheld 5x loupe. Dealers sell them. If you want to go whole hog, which depending on your vision might not be a bad idea, spring for a 10x loupe that sits over the coin.

Good idea,  my wife may have one of those.  She actually told me to take a coin with me and see what works. Interesting thought on her part!  Thank you.

Edited by Mike from Mercer
spelling error

4 minutes ago, JKK said:

One other good option that's really convenient is a headset with magnification lenses you can lower. I have one of those for when working on a large number of coins. One of the best places to shop for visual aids is the one most people never think of: the local center for the blind. It stands to reason that they would have excellent selections in a wide variety, and it's also nice for one's purchase to support a worthy cause.

Hey, now that sounds like a good idea, I'll look into this also, a head set, I think I've seen these with changeable lenses, another possibility.  I knew I came to the right place for some ideas!!  Thanks to all.

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

If you decide to go go with a loupe, look for the words "Hastings triplet" in the description. You cannot go wrong with one of those.

Are those the little stainless steel-plated ones that slide out rotating on a central spindle? I must be the only numismatist in this country who can't use them or stand them. Yet, since I am the only one, I didn't and wouldn't warn the OP away from them.

25 minutes ago, JKK said:

Are those the little stainless steel-plated ones that slide out rotating on a central spindle? I must be the only numismatist in this country who can't use them or stand them. Yet, since I am the only one, I didn't and wouldn't warn the OP away from them.

A Hastings triplet lens is three lenses bonded together into one lens. It is supposed to be distortion free. It is often encountered in the style you mentioned, but can also be found in other configurations, like the one-eye jeweler's loupe that you see on TV.

A few magnifying glasses I use are led lighted with a 4x magnify circle IN the glass itself.....so you have a choice to check in depth as you scan the coin with the broader spectrum......I then move to the loop for closer inspection.....I'm currently waiting for black Friday for a laptop solely for the use of coins and a digital magnification scope that displays a close up view of a coin on the screen for inspection.