• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Lincoln coin questions

14 posts in this topic

What is the weight? The only experimental cent in 1974 was an aluminum one which would be very light and non magnetic. It is probably a cent that has been nickel plated which would account for it being magnetic, maybe a high school experiment. We see these on the Forum quite often.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Cents were also coined in bronze-clad steel with the 1974 date during 1974-75, but nothing came of this experiment.

On 10/29/2020 at 4:24 PM, bsshog40 said:

With the memorial steps being filled in, looks like it was probably plated to me. 

I have a 1975 steel/silver colored that I have been holding onto for quite some time and never thought that the memorial steps might show plating.  After reading the quoted post, I went right away to take a good look at it and it looks like the steps are still there.  So I was going to post the question/pics here but I decided to go get it weighed as mentioned in an earlier post.  I went to a jeweler and asked him to weigh my coin for me.  He took one look at it and refused to take it out of the sleeve I have it in or weigh it.  He said to not take it out of the sleeve and not to let anyone touch it.  He said if it was real it might be worth something and to send it to NGC.  I told him I had planned on it but did not want to waste my time in case it was plated or a high school experiment or something.  He asked for it back and put it in a machine that he had there and after a moment he declared it NOT plated and that it was most likely zinc.

I cannot find any info on this coin other than it might be plated (it isn't) and then someone mentioned on a post somewhere that it may have been an experiment with different materials by a mint and should have never left the mint. So my question is, I am getting on the side of sending it for grading but I wanted to get an opinion from those smarter than me here...send it in or what the heck is this thing?

Thank you in advance for advice.

Edited by Fabrosee

16 hours ago, Fabrosee said:

I have a 1975 steel/silver colored that I have been holding onto for quite some time and never thought that the memorial steps might show plating.  After reading the quoted post, I went right away to take a good look at it and it looks like the steps are still there.  So I was going to post the question/pics here but I decided to go get it weighed as mentioned in an earlier post.  I went to a jeweler and asked him to weigh my coin for me.  He took one look at it and refused to take it out of the sleeve I have it in or weigh it.  He said to not take it out of the sleeve and not to let anyone touch it.  He said if it was real it might be worth something and to send it to NGC.  I told him I had planned on it but did not want to waste my time in case it was plated or a high school experiment or something.  He asked for it back and put it in a machine that he had there and after a moment he declared it NOT plated and that it was most likely zinc.

I cannot find any info on this coin other than it might be plated (it isn't) and then someone mentioned on a post somewhere that it may have been an experiment with different materials by a mint and should have never left the mint. So my question is, I am getting on the side of sending it for grading but I wanted to get an opinion from those smarter than me here...send it in or what the heck is this thing?

Thank you in advance for advice.

I have many cents like this. I made them that way. They could be created by dipping any new cent into heavily used photographic fixer, either from a black&white or color production line. I took many many new cents, suspended them in C-41  process fixer for a few minutes. They silver plated very securely and it takes a great deal of rubbing to get it off. Keep in mind that the 1970's was near the peak of use of the C-41 process. "Lab rats" made tons of these.

Edited by VKurtB

That's why I went to get it weighed...did you notice in the post you quoted that the jeweler that I took it to tested it and determined it not to be plated?  If it is not plated how can it be one like you made?  Did you make some that were not plated? If so, I would like to hear about it...maybe it is similar to mine.

On 11/13/2020 at 9:59 PM, Fabrosee said:

That's why I went to get it weighed...did you notice in the post you quoted that the jeweler that I took it to tested it and determined it not to be plated?  If it is not plated how can it be one like you made?  Did you make some that were not plated? If so, I would like to hear about it...maybe it is similar to mine.

Fab,

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I don’t believe your jeweler knows his butt from a hole in the ground. Sorry, but that’s the most likely answer, by a country mile. People with coins put waaaaaay too much faith in “jewelers”.

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/16/2020 at 7:13 AM, sdawnmiller said:

what was the weight and did you do a gravity test

Thank you sdawnmiller an actual constructive inquiry..

I weighed it myself with other coins for comparison. 

5 copper pennies from different years (1947, 1975, 1977 & 1981) all were the same weight - 3.1 grams

3 1943 steel pennies had 3 different weights (2.6, 2.7 & 2.8 grams)

The coin in question had the weight of 3.1 grams.

To do the SG test I need to get a scale that will measure to hundredths of a gram.  I will post the results when I get the scale and do the tests. 

On 10/29/2020 at 4:42 PM, DWLange said:

Cents were also coined in bronze-clad steel with the 1974 date during 1974-75, but nothing came of this experiment.

The Mint admitted that they experimented and some got away from being destroyed and may actually be worth something. Should I send for grade?

Bronze coated steel would still be red or brown, not white. Look at a modern U.K. penny or two pence, or a recent (comparatively) Canadian cent. They are ALL bronze coated steel. A white 1974 cent is either aluminum,  or a post-minted plating job - full stop. 

Edited by VKurtB