• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Isle of Man

169 posts in this topic

I believe there is at least one that I found on google, and there at least were I believe two on sale on Australian Ebay.....Well, just looked and they are not there. Atkinson's had one, but now gone. They do show up now and then as you know.....If I see one will PM you.

3 hours ago, 7.jaguars said:

I believe there is at least one that I found on google, and there at least were I believe two on sale on Australian Ebay.....Well, just looked and they are not there. Atkinson's had one, but now gone. They do show up now and then as you know.....If I see one will PM you.

Thanks, the two in Australia were proofs and I'm looking for BU. I spoke to the selling a couple of time.  I didn't know about the Atkinson one. Wonder if that was a proof as well. 

One will show up, just don't know when.

50 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I have some IOM silver Saint Michaels coins.

Those are nice, I had a 2016 Isle of Man ANGEL Shade of Enigma Archangel Michael Black Ruthenium 1 Oz Silver - didn't care for it and sold it.

2 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I have some IOM silver Saint Michaels coins.

Very nice coins, I like them, although I feel the reverse design took a step backward after the move to Tower Mint and the Maklouf redesign.

1821631759_2844648-008-ReverseHiRes-Small.jpg.d7f23b6ba5605a03b09669a567bbd15c.jpg

The angel's head doesn't look proportionate to the body, looks like it's floating. download.jpg.9a394eb07d18d6c7b1138e9a9b70ef14.jpg

Only one more I'm looking for a 1995 gilt, it's been proving elusive.

1 hour ago, Zebo said:

I had a 2016 Isle of Man ANGEL Shade of Enigma Archangel Michael Black Ruthenium 1 Oz Silver - didn't care for it and sold it.

Ditto.

35 minutes ago, 7.jaguars said:

Yea, I always thought the angel to be disproportionate and this always bothered me - never could bother myself to get one. I still like the Viking Longships on the Nobles....

(thumbsu

I've seen this one before, but man! This is just a god looking coin (in the pictures anyway), every time I see it I can look away. Wish I had this one, thought I'd share.

Obv.jpg.4bf582368b8126b5eb64f1e067447092.jpg436352063_s-l1600(3).jpg.72b7796852f5bd41a4bf97716548d0af.jpg

It's for sale but the price is pretty salty, very very salty.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MS70-1977-PM-Isle-Of-Man-2-Sovereign-Graded-NGC-5893/124375924346?hash=item1cf561fe7a:g:B9AAAOSwXj9fNs2- 

26 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

I've seen this one before, but man! This is just a god looking coin (in the pictures anyway), every time I see it I can look away. Wish I had this one, thought I'd share.

Obv.jpg.4bf582368b8126b5eb64f1e067447092.jpg436352063_s-l1600(3).jpg.72b7796852f5bd41a4bf97716548d0af.jpg

It's for sale but the price is pretty salty, very very salty.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MS70-1977-PM-Isle-Of-Man-2-Sovereign-Graded-NGC-5893/124375924346?hash=item1cf561fe7a:g:B9AAAOSwXj9fNs2- 

A bit pricey. Here's a 70 - sorry for the lousy photo - bad light and not on my photo stand.

image.jpg

40 minutes ago, Zebo said:

image.jpg

Another beauty!

Was 77' a highly collected year or a better struck year? 77' seems to be well represented in high grades. I'd ask for a mintage figure but....you know.:roflmao:

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Spelling correction

2 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Another beauty!

Was 77' a highly collected year or a better struck year? 77' seams to be well represented in high grades. I'd ask for a mintage figure but....you know.:roflmao:

I'm not sure about whether it was a better year (strike) or not.  I haven't seen all that many of them to compare. As far as mintage goes - you are absoluelty right - no mention in any reference (what a joke!)

This thread made it to 100 posts.:banana:

All this talk about IoM coinage I had to pull the trigger on something. Here's my latest purchase, arrived yesterday.

Obverse.JPG.65be8635131323b6dff5719afbb8e9ce.JPGReverse.JPG.f44668acf3da2f0153e6ee01272a2022.JPG

All the scuffs on the rev are on the holder.

This is a refreshing thread. Any of the older circulating issues being collected? Many interesting stories on those as well.

Okay, I confess. I like the 1972 through 1974 circulating issues and semi-hoarding them, pence through 50 p.  I am not sure that these actually circulated and mintage allegedly 1,000 of each. I have about 35 or so total.

I have never seen them worn or actually circulated. Has anyone else?

29 minutes ago, 7.jaguars said:

Not the few I've seen. I mean the ones I have do have some contact or bag marks and the occasional finger print but all are in very good condition. Makes me wonder about fakes.

1 hour ago, 7.jaguars said:

Okay, I confess. I like the 1972 through 1974 circulating issues and semi-hoarding them, pence through 50 p.  I am not sure that these actually circulated and mintage allegedly 1,000 of each. I have about 35 or so total.

The IOM circulating coins were fairly prevalent, then it seemed to dry up for a period (years) and is now rebounding and you can fine many on the island and some across the UK. I have a few,Mobutu can't remember if they are any 72-74 issues in my stash. My mother used to bring them back.

Do you believe the mintage of 1,000 of each of these? PM was terrible as we have discussed with mintages on these and others.

Regardless, I like the design but figure best to have one of these that the 1971 or 1975 issues.

BTW, I will post the proof 1987 Viking On Horseback pound when I get it for those interested. I wish that viking didn't have the goofy expression on his face.

I got an unc 1 oz platinum Noble when the price was like 400 or so, and even a proof 1/2 oz plat Noble at prorated price.

1 hour ago, 7.jaguars said:

Do you believe the mintage of 1,000 of each of these? PM was terrible as we have discussed with mintages on these and others.

Regardless, I like the design but figure best to have one of these that the 1971 or 1975 issues.

BTW, I will post the proof 1987 Viking On Horseback pound when I get it for those interested. I wish that viking didn't have the goofy expression on his face.

I got an unc 1 oz platinum Noble when the price was like 400 or so, and even a proof 1/2 oz plat Noble at prorated price.

The mintage for the scare years are reasonible from what I've heard in the IOM. The early seventies was the start of decimalization and the beginning of the Pobjoy Mint's production of both circulating and non-circulating coinage. I can see why after the initial year, they would scale back on the numbers a bit. 

I've thought about the platinum Nobles, but haven't pulled the trigger on them. They are very nice. 

Can't wait to see the 1987 proof.

These are not circulating coins, but like them anyway. The virenium alloy oxidizes (I guess) over time so that some are silverish and others of a bronze colour. If you remember the movie Taras Bulba with Yul Brenner, these are the "civilized" equestrians:

218754B5-FAE4-4F2B-AE4B-B5424CF68B0A_1_201_a.jpeg

392DA31E-6758-417E-B4AC-C835B6A11183_1_201_a.jpeg

C0E34127-ED34-4EC3-A746-15271E1F0120_1_201_a.jpeg

95906CFB-9A7E-4375-9582-48051DFF0B2A_1_201_a.jpeg

12 hours ago, 7.jaguars said:

These are not circulating coins, but like them anyway. The virenium alloy oxidizes (I guess) over time so that some are silverish and others of a bronze colour. If you remember the movie Taras Bulba with Yul Brenner, these are the "civilized" equestrians:

I have not seen these in person. Interesting design. 

I wish they'd taken a bit more time, but I think these may have been designed for a smaller modulus coin and then got enlarged to the design's disadvantage. Supposedly these were also made in gold and possibly platinum but have never seen any.

I have them, 1984-1987 and they seem to turn bronzy colour after oxidation but have a silvery appearance before that happens.

I've got good news and bad news:

Bad news, if your looking for mintage figures they are not in this book.

Small.JPG.74fe2b5fa5eff574e4288dece254c7f2.JPG

Good news, it's not a bad read and I now know more about the IoM than anyone in the Midwest. I'm just waiting for the new (4th) edition of Spink to arrive, it'll be back to the drawing board if there is nothing there.

2 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Good news, it's not a bad read and I now know more about the IoM than anyone in the Midwest. I'm just waiting for the new (4th) edition of Spink to arrive, it'll be back to the drawing board if there is nothing there.

I haven't seen that one before - thanks for sharing. 

Here goes, the 1987 Ellan Vannin Viking on Horse PROOF pound coin - any marks are on enclosing plastic and not the coin. It appears almost of gold:  

DC56FEA1-03DF-4628-A43E-3D8ECF7EF2F9.jpeg

01F3B8C2-B709-490D-A63A-F67545240599.jpeg

Edited by 7.jaguars

An aside: Have any of you IoM collectors ever had the pleasure of traveling to the Isle of Man? I am considering adding it to the itinerary of my next U.K. trip. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.