• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help deciphering handwriting
1 1

21 posts in this topic

This document just arrived from Scotland and I have been trying to decipher the handwriting with little luck. Do you think you can help me fill in the blanks? @RWB I know you have a ton of experience with stuff like this so I am hoping to take advantage of your expertise. Here is what I have so far:

Balmoral Castle

____ : 7, 1856

Sir,

I am commanded by

His Royal ________ Prince

Albert _______________ (the?)

(Receipt?) (of?) (your?) (note?) (of?) the

4th - ____ - (with?) the ­­­­__________

_______ _______ _________ __________

Of the memorials of James

Watt, which you have been

Good _______ ________ for

______ __________ __________

Her majesty cannot but

Admire the manner in

Which this (volume?) is ­­­­_________

______ , I am commanded to

____ the  ________ _________

(Which?) she accepts _______ for

The Royal Library.

_____ __________ _______ _________

_______

____ . _____ ________ _________

______ ________ ____          Grey

1739150621_LetterPart1.thumb.jpg.291e1cafc184c27f5585c93c1ec6fa4c.jpg1813043054_LetterPart2.thumb.jpg.80c0a58a48c849c5d0f404365f52476c.jpg

Balmoral Castle

Oct. 7, 1856

Sir,

I am commanded by

His Royal Highness Prince

Albert to acknowledge the receipt of  

your note of the 4th - [not sure] - with 

the accompanying very handsome

[not sure] of the memorials of James Watt

But then again, I’m just a “troll”, according to Larry and Jason, and they are Honourable men. Pffft.

Edited by VKurtB

I am commanded by His Royal Highness Prince Albert to acknowledge the receipt your note? of the 4th ___  with the accompanying very handsome copy of the memorials of James Watt, which you have been good enough to read for presentation to Her Majesty. Her Majesty cannot but admire the manner in which this volume is ___ ___ &? I am commanded to express the pleasure with which she accepts it for the Royal Library.

Not sure about the closing. Looks like:

I have the honor to be __ your very obedient _______________

5 minutes ago, coinsandmedals said:

the handwriting had me second-guessing myself. 

Having had a cerebral hemorrhage that affected my dominant hand, I’ve needed to become adept at reading pretty crappy handwriting, mostly my own.

This might help a little....

Balmoral Castle

October 7, 1856

I am commanded by His Royal Highness Prince Albert to acknowledge the receipt of your note of the 4th inst. with the accompanying very handsome copy of the Memorials of James Watt, which you have been good enough to send for presentation to Her Majesty.

Her Majesty cannot but admire the manner in which this volume is put up, and I am commanded to express the pleasure with which she accepts it for the Royal Library.

I have the honor to be,

Your very obedient servant,

/s/ Grey

John Gray, Esq.

[Was "Grey" (a secretary to the Prince) writing to "John Gray" ?]

Edited by RWB

On 9/9/2020 at 11:22 AM, VKurtB said:

But then again, I’m just a “troll”, according to Larry and Jason, and they are Honourable men. Pffft.

You have your facts mixed up. I never said that. I don't think we have ever even had any cross words, here or over on CT.  

On 9/13/2020 at 4:13 PM, ldhair said:

You have your facts mixed up. I never said that. I don't think we have ever even had any cross words, here or over on CT.  

[Nice maneuver VKurtB!  I am on the gentleman's ignore list; you, indubitably, are not.]

On 9/9/2020 at 7:11 PM, coinsandmedals said:

@RWB thank you! It appears I now have all of the pieces to the puzzle. 

Uhhh...There's a piece on the floor, next to the table leg.....

:)

3 hours ago, RWB said:

Uhhh...There's a piece on the floor, next to the table leg.....

:)

As it turns out, several pieces to the puzzle were on the floor! I just noticed your note: Was "Grey" (a secretary to the Prince) writing to "John Gray"?

Charles Grey served as secretary to Prince Albert from 1849 to 1861, so it seems logical that he wrote the letter. After a bit of searching, I was able to confirm that a copy of the donated book remains in the Royal Collection Trust, but they do not list a donor. It would have been nice to establish that John Gray was the intended recipient of the letter. I persisted and kept digging. 

In doing a little more research on the author of the donated book, George Williamson, I found out that he was the president of the Watt Club. A few google searches later, and I found the mother-load of information, including a transcript Of the letter! For those you who are interested, here is the link to the website. The research presented on the website confirms that the author of the letter was, in fact, Charles Grey, and the recipient was John Gray. 

Now I can’t help but wonder if my example is an original letter written by Charles Grey or a copy in someone else’s hand. I believe I will save this mystery for another day.

A wonderful article you found! The folks at Durham should be able to resolve the originality of your letter. The transcription you have is complete - not so the one on the website.

After this enjoyable read, I shall sit back in the library, light my pipe of Prince Albert tobacco and enjoy a cup of perfect Earl Grey tea. :)

12 minutes ago, RWB said:

A wonderful article you found! The folks at Durham should be able to resolve the originality of your letter. The transcription you have is complete - not so the one on the website.

After this enjoyable read, I shall sit back in the library, light my pipe of Prince Albert tobacco and enjoy a cup of perfect Earl Grey tea. :)

"Do you have Prince Albert in the can?" :roflmao:

Nice bit of sleuthing.

Would you mind giving a bit more background and explanation of your opening statement, "This document just arrived from Scotland"? I am really curious about what led you to request it in the first place, and how you went about it.

10 hours ago, RWB said:

How appropriate! Minus the tobacco, that sounds like an extraordinary evening to me. 

6 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Nice bit of sleuthing.

Would you mind giving a bit more background and explanation of your opening statement, "This document just arrived from Scotland"? I am really curious about what led you to request it in the first place, and how you went about it.

I purchased this letter from a private seller located in Scotland. My initial statement was more so an expression of relief that it made the trip in one piece. The mail has been less than reliable for me over the last few weeks. 

My numismatic research has been primarily focused on the Soho Mint. In part, this has lead me down a more in-depth exploration of the Boulton and Watt families and the lasting impact they had on society. This letter just happened to mention James Watt and seemingly fit with my overall research on the topic. 

Coinsandmedals - have you accessed the related correspondence in the US National Archives? If not, go to the Newman Numismatic Portal (NNP) and look for "NARA-P E-2 Boulton letters." There are additional letters to/from Boulton in the Journals and E-1 General Correspondence. Much of this is routine ordering of planchets, there are some letters with Boulton trying to sell his steam powered fly presses and others discussing peripheral issues.

I'm sure you have already read Richard Doty's book.

BTW - I added a dram or two of Glenlivit 80 year single malt to the Earl Grey tea the other evening. Slept like a log.

Edited by RWB

I believe you were kind enough to share this information with me in one of my earlier posts about the Soho Mint. The files are on my computer, but I have not taken the time to explore those just yet. They are on my agenda for this upcoming summer. 

Oh yes, Doty's book is by far my favorite numismatic read. I partially have him to blame for my Soho addiction.

My father-in-law introduced me to Glenlivet, and I have yet to look back. I have a bottle of 18-year single malt on my shelf, but I have never seen an 80 year! 

1 minute ago, coinsandmedals said:

I believe you were kind enough to share this information with me in one of my earlier posts about the Soho Mint. The files are on my computer, but I have not taken the time to explore those just yet. They are on my agenda for this upcoming summer. 

Oh yes, Doty's book is by far my favorite numismatic read. I partially have him to blame for my Soho addiction.

My father-in-law introduced me to Glenlivet, and I have yet to look back. I have a bottle of 18-year single malt on my shelf, but I have never seen an 80 year! 

Ahhh...I'd forgotten about the files.

The scotch was a gift, as is most of my single malt "collection."