• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you or Are you...
1 1

Do you or Are you ...  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Participate in the NGC registry?

• Yes
    • No
    • Planning on it
  2. 2. Are you a member of the ANA or other similar organization?

• Yes
    • No
    • Planning on it
  3. 3. Are you a member of a coin club?

• Yes
    • No
    • Planning on it
  4. 4. Do you participate in another registry?

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Are you a dealer or collector?

• Dealer
    • Collector

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/30/2020 at 04:10 AM

39 posts in this topic

Good thing I keep meticulous records because, while I participate in another Set Registry, I no longer recall why.

Nothing to do with brand loyalty and everything to do with merchandise availability. My affiliation with NGC is entirely incidental.  My initial buys were raw coins which then progressed into slabs, and at some point, the NGS offerings dried up and I began collecting PCGS slabs...  Then I discovered set registries.

What to do... well what would you do?  I began dual registries with PCGS predominating, and sent them my raw coins. Then, on a hunch, I checked overseas web sites and, found more [PCGS slabbed] coins... and then I hit a wall commonly encountered by many set registrants: lack of availability, irrespective of TPGS.

If someone in authority at NGC were to order me to submit my excess inventory to them for cross-grading, I would probably do it just to complete my set Registry.  In the interim, they languish, upright and unloved, in a black slotted box.

2 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

That surprises me.

What would the disparity be attributed to, brand loyalty? People got upset for some reason and completely jumped ship from a registry? Just how the slabs fell? No one from ATS visits here so they haven't seen the poll?

I don't think it's because NGC now accepts PCGS U.S. coins. Only thing that comes to mind is NGC has larger, more inclusive world registry categories. 

Have you tried a similar poll ATS?

Those who post on the NGC forum are more likely to purchase NGC coins. 

NGC coins are not accepted on the other registry. 

Thus, they are not likely to participate in the other registry, where their coins are not allowed. 

No surprise at all. 

Its deceptive to say that NCS *now* accepts PCGS US coins. They always used to. Someone high up in the company made a stupid decision several years ago to exclude PCGS coins, and after a few years of negative feedback finally recognized their mistake. The better way to phrase it is "The NGC Registry accepts PCGS coins again after a misguided interruption." 

There are plenty of members here who are also members ATS, and many of them even use the same username. 

Clarification...

While it is true NGC coins are not accepted at PCGS, I should like to emphasize that PCGS-graded World coins are not accepted at NGC at this time (for entirely valid reasons having to do with how each TPGS classifies its coins). It is this exception that makes cross-grading mandatory for [French 20-Franc] roostermeisters like me. 

16 hours ago, Zebo said:

What disparity? Those who use the registry as opposed those who do not?

Those who only participate in one registry. Most collectors will have slabs from multiple TPG's, if true I would have thought more people would have sets here and ATS. Unless I'm wrong about people migrating to NGC because they accept PCGS in the U.S. registries. If you were to break the numbers down further, what percentage of world collectors participate in multiple registries as opposed to U.S.? Would the numbers be similar to your poll? World 70% U.S. 30%

Interesting poll, got the wheels turning.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

10 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Those who post on the NGC forum are more likely to purchase NGC coins. 

Agree, but most collectors will not have only one type of slab. That said, I would have assumed most people would at least log their slabs with the parent company's registry so that the slab is registered to that individual. Not sure if that would be considered participation in the context of this poll but I would consider it to be. Maybe that is why I was "surprised". 

3 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Those who only participate in one registry. Most collectors will have slabs from multiple TPG's, if true you I would have thought more people would have sets here and ATS. Unless I'm wrong about people migrating to NGC because they accept PCGS in the U.S. registries. If you were to break the numbers down further, what percentage of world collectors participate in multiple registries as opposed to U.S.? Would the numbers be similar to your poll? World 70% U.S. 30%

World collectors? Do you mean U.S. collectors of World Coins or collectors from other countries? Because my strong impression from a recent trip to the U.K. is that raw coins remain “King” over there and registry use is near nil. It seems they have no need to make collecting competitive. Both slabs and registries, while slowly going more worldwide, are mostly a U.S. fetish. I really have to struggle to find slabbed coins at a NYINC show, but it is getting easier lately. The many auctions there are filled with slabs. 

45 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Do you mean U.S. collectors of World Coins or collectors from other countries?

Both, any collector with one or more slabbed coins from each of the top two TPG's, which I thought would be a majority of collectors who participated here (in the NGC registry) or at any registry, "Buy the coin not the slab", right. Slabbed coins may not make up the majority of the individuals collection but they would have at least something to enter into multiple registries. My thought is, if you have a slabbed coin why not register it as proof of ownership, cataloging/inventory, ease of access, etc. I guess I don't see any reason not to register a slabbed coin and "participate" in multiple registries, if you have them. Granted I'm painting with a very broad bush but in general my expectation was that most people who were in a registry had slabs from multiple TPG's and that they were "participating" in multiple registries. I was wrong

4 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

Those who only participate in one registry. Most collectors will have slabs from multiple TPG's, if true I would have thought more people would have sets here and ATS. Unless I'm wrong about people migrating to NGC because they accept PCGS in the U.S. registries. If you were to break the numbers down further, what percentage of world collectors participate in multiple registries as opposed to U.S.? Would the numbers be similar to your poll? World 70% U.S. 30%

Good question regarding World coin collectors. I'll have to create another poll because this one does not capture that statistic. 

2 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

...., if you have a slabbed coin why not register it as proof of ownership, cataloging/inventory, ease of access, etc. I guess I don't see any reason not to register a slabbed coin and "participate" in multiple registries, if you have them.

I can think of a few reasons why someone wouldn't want to register -- or even decommission his coins. 

Up until a year ago or so, I could add a coin to my PCGS Set Registry as soon as I purchased it. No more. PCGS requires the buyer to have his purchase formally released from the seller and have it in hand physically before it can be added to his Set Registry. (If after 3 days, the "release" is not effected, PCGS automatically adds the coin.)  Many set registrants had played it fast and loose, what with points and standing in the offing, that it had become necessary to tighten up the rules.  Obviously, anyone who obtains a coin under less than honorable circumstances will not be able to register his coin (or, I believe, have it cross-graded) without its provenance coming to light.

I have not added a coin to either of my NGC or PCGS registries in the past year so if the rules with either have been enhanced, relaxed or otherwise revised in any meaningful way, enquiring minds would appreciate knowing. [Interesting poll, Zebo.  I never thought NGC, in its infinite wisdom, would have allowed it.]