• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Star vs. NGC Plus
2 2

37 posts in this topic

On 9/7/2020 at 6:41 PM, erwindoc said:

Been thinking about this question for some time and I will start by saying that I have been a fan of the NGC star designation for years(check my sets if you don't believe me!).  Unfortunately, I think that the plus grading system has hurt the value of the star.  Points are the same in the registry for a star coin, which is designated for exceptional eye appeal.  The plus is upper ends of the respective grade.  What are your thoughts???  Which would you rather have a "+" or a "*"?  Riding the fence with this dime that has both the plus and star designation...

1900.jpg

I am almost sure my Star coins get more points than non Star coins of the same grade.

On 12/22/2022 at 3:34 PM, numisport said:

I am almost sure my Star coins get more points than non Star coins of the same grade.

With my luck, when it comes time to sell, I will be told the one-stars are par for the course (numis-speak for nothing special) but the five-stars are where the money is.   :roflmao:

Here's something that's sure to get someone's goat.  Notwithstanding stars, give or take, I am going to propose a grade that has heretofore never been pushed before yet:  An AU-59+.  

Simply amazing how, of the billions of coins minted world-wide since the dawn of civilization, not one has ever attained the grandeur of this storied grade.  But there is one catch:  the TPGS will have to reach a consensus that in all other applicable grading respects, the coin would have to qualify unanimously for Mint State status.

What this hobby needs is an unorthodox way of looking at common things.  [I myself would pay a premium for the odd designation.]

All in favor say, Aye!