• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2004D DDR......pinch me if this real.... lol.... two 04’s in one day!!!
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Not wanting to push my luck here at all.  One DDR in a day (or a few months, or even a year...lol.) would make me happy (reference to the 2004P DDR I found this morning).

I was just looking through an old bag of Lincoln’s for a friend and I believe I just found another 2004 DDR but this one is a Denver mint. I looked on copper coins and VV for this year from Denver and the only thing they have to show, respectively, are 2004 -D’s with doubling on the Memorial for the most part. There was nothing I could find relating to the pics in this post. As always, thank you for looking and for your comments!!

5D26C6FE-483A-4D58-ACBA-D016B54472AD.jpeg

76D844CC-7778-48DC-94B3-4BB26E70661D.jpeg

Edited by Greg Bradford

Thank you Ronnie for your reply. And thank you Greenstang and Coinbuf for your replies regarding my 2004 (P) DDR several days ago.
I’m not sure why I have not had any further input on this Lincoln Cent. I respectfully realize, from my research, that there is not any comparable previous finds in which to compare this coin. I’m not saying that I found a “first” by no means but would appreciate some input by the professionals on this forum as to whether or not this cent exhibits true doubling. 
By the looks of the split serifs on the S’s, and notching on the A’s, I can’t help but to believe this is a doubled die. I realize it’s not a “bank breaking coin” but nevertheless it could be a nice and neat find DDR Denver mint to go along with my 2004 Philly DDR find.

Please disregard what appears to be doubling  or MD in the photos of : E PLURIBUS UNUM. It was nothing more than a result of the lighting at the time. The rest of the photos are extremely accurate in showing the splits and notching as well as the doubling of the O in OF. Thanks. 

9 hours ago, Greg Bradford said:

Thank you Ronnie for your reply. And thank you Greenstang and Coinbuf for your replies regarding my 2004 (P) DDR several days ago.
I’m not sure why I have not had any further input on this Lincoln Cent. I respectfully realize, from my research, that there is not any comparable previous finds in which to compare this coin. I’m not saying that I found a “first” by no means but would appreciate some input by the professionals on this forum as to whether or not this cent exhibits true doubling. 
By the looks of the split serifs on the S’s, and notching on the A’s, I can’t help but to believe this is a doubled die. I realize it’s not a “bank breaking coin” but nevertheless it could be a nice and neat find DDR Denver mint to go along with my 2004 Philly DDR find.

Please disregard what appears to be doubling  or MD in the photos of : E PLURIBUS UNUM. It was nothing more than a result of the lighting at the time. The rest of the photos are extremely accurate in showing the splits and notching as well as the doubling of the O in OF. Thanks. 

Greg,

Enjoy these finds if they are your thing. If I were moved by doubling, I would be excited too. But I am not. Doubled die coins, except for the really major ones, don't interest me, and I'd venture to guess they don't interest huge swaths of the long-timers in this hobby. It just wasn't what we were taught, and not what we looked for. It is mostly a "new collector" niche, with some exceptions. In all fairness, though, what we old-timers did is almost impossible to do today, so the hobby marches on. But I do have to offer one warning: having scads of new collectors finding minor doubling does not create a market for them. Finding more adds to SUPPLY, not DEMAND. For any variety to become financially rewarding to the finder, DEMAND has to either already be there or it has to be created. And that's the trick. Now, if you are okay with hoarding some of these over the intermediate term in waiting for a robust demand to occur, then you have a sound plan. At least you'll be prepared to meet the demand. But as we stand here today, demand for this sort of material is what we call a "thin" market. Demand is small, but growing, undeniably, but it has a way to go still.

You mentioned you were going through a bag of penny's for  a friend. If this is a DDR is he going to sell it to you so you can put it with your 2004 P. I'm just confused on some of the post in here. Good luck.

On 9/5/2020 at 2:07 PM, Hinkle said:

You mentioned you were going through a bag of penny's for  a friend. If this is a DDR is he going to sell it to you so you can put it with your 2004 P. I'm just confused on some of the post in here. Good luck.

Thank you. 

On 9/5/2020 at 12:45 PM, VKurtB said:

Greg,

Enjoy these finds if they are your thing. If I were moved by doubling, I would be excited too. But I am not. Doubled die coins, except for the really major ones, don't interest me, and I'd venture to guess they don't interest huge swaths of the long-timers in this hobby. It just wasn't what we were taught, and not what we looked for. It is mostly a "new collector" niche, with some exceptions. In all fairness, though, what we old-timers did is almost impossible to do today, so the hobby marches on. But I do have to offer one warning: having scads of new collectors finding minor doubling does not create a market for them. Finding more adds to SUPPLY, not DEMAND. For any variety to become financially rewarding to the finder, DEMAND has to either already be there or it has to be created. And that's the trick. Now, if you are okay with hoarding some of these over the intermediate term in waiting for a robust demand to occur, then you have a sound plan. At least you'll be prepared to meet the demand. But as we stand here today, demand for this sort of material is what we call a "thin" market. Demand is small, but growing, undeniably, but it has a way to go still.

Thank you very much for your reply VKurtB, it is truly appreciated. I completely understand (and can relate due to my line of business) the supply and demand issue. I greatly appreciate you bringing that to the attention of all the newcomers to this forum. I know the hoards of “Is this a DDR or DDO” is commonplace but you and numerous others on this forum accommodate these questions and politely respond, thank you. I commend you and the other experts on this forum for helping the newcomers. 
I feel I have come a long way since I started out and I do not post frivolous coins. I myself have an affection for Lincoln’s and I always will with all due respect. 
Correct me if I am wrong, but the last true DD Linc. (copper) occurred in 1972. Everything else is considered a variety thereafter, by numismatic criteria, if I’m not mistaken.
I will still keep searching to hopefully find the ever so luring 43 or 83 copper...., 55, 58, 69, 71.... etc and so on... real doubled dies, as well as those nice transitional errors such as the 92 CAM. 
Thank you VKurtB for your dedication and expertise in the arena of numismatics. 
-Greg