• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1944- twenty centavos
1 1

7 posts in this topic

The military surely received some, but these were actually for circulation in all the Philippines.  At the time it was a US territory (although some of it was under occupation by the Japanese) and this was the Philippine coinage.  I believe this same design had been in use since 1918 and continued through what 1947.

What's weird is the Japanese occupation currency. The style is mainly patterned after US small bills. I gather it was hyperinflated from the word go, which must have meant the Filipinos were delighted to get some money minted in and backed up by the US government.

I find the date a bit unusual as the Japanese occupied the Philippines during that time frame.  Dug Out Doug didn't make his return until 20 October 1944.  Perhaps money carried by the invasion force?

4 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

I find the date a bit unusual as the Japanese occupied the Philippines during that time frame.  Dug Out Doug didn't make his return until 20 October 1944.  Perhaps money carried by the invasion force?

These pieces are included in the Red Book, if memory serves.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

These coins were part of a liberation issue dated 1944-45 and make at U. S. Mints. They did arrive with the American forces when the recapture of the islands commenced. As Alex noted, D-Day was October 20, 1944. The coins remained legal tender in The Philippines until 1967, but the silver pieces had long since been hoarded.

They are listed in the Red Book. It was my honor to write that chapter back in the 90s.

1 hour ago, DWLange said:

These coins were part of a liberation issue dated 1944-45 and make at U. S. Mints. They did arrive with the American forces when the recapture of the islands commenced. As Alex noted, D-Day was October 20, 1944. The coins remained legal tender in The Philippines until 1967, but the silver pieces had long since been hoarded.

They are listed in the Red Book. It was my honor to write that chapter back in the 90s.

You dawg you. Nice chapter.