• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quiz: Why is COLOR important for authentication?
1 1

184 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

There was a viewer some time ago who took exception to RichieRich2020's use of Capital letters likening them to shouting.  And yet, in the past week alone we've seen bold, out-sized fonts, some in living technicolor, which no one takes exception to because they are a creative sight to behold and/or intimidated by the temperamental personalities who wield them.  Great stuff!

Some things involving internet chat and messaging are generally accepted by the community at large. LOL is understood to mean "Laugh Out Loud," not "Lots of Love,"  "Larry or Louise," or any other term with three words which begin with those letters. Bold, italics, highlighting, colors, and different fonts are used to draw attention or emphasize. All caps is understood to be the internet equivalent of shouting, regardless of whomever says they are using it in another way.

24 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Some things involving internet chat and messaging are generally accepted by the community at large. LOL is understood to mean "Laugh Out Loud," not "Lots of Love,"  "Larry or Louise," or any other term with three words which begin with those letters. Bold, italics, highlighting, colors, and different fonts are used to draw attention or emphasize. All caps is understood to be the internet equivalent of shouting, regardless of whomever says they are using it in another way.

By the way, this is not an Internet standard to which I subscribe, and I steadfastly refuse to abide by it. All caps can mean anything you want it to for you. I'm under no obligation to agree to it or observe it. It's your problem, basically.

12 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Posting is fun. :banana:

I use color, bold, CAPS, and size to help make my ideas clear.  I don't police what others do.  What they post is more important to me than how they post. 

I'm a five year old rookie poster.  During that time, I've learned that folks of every background, sex (now there are at least 20!), and intelligence level post on the Internet.  Some of our foreign members may not understand English.  We are all lucky to be welcomed here by NGC.  I don't usually go with the flow and hate most rules so eventually I may be banned.  Anyway, I think there is a way to block a member who often POSTS IN CAPS . 

2 hours ago, Insider said:

Agree 100%.  As the saying goes, ignorance is bliss.   Example: When I was young I didn't give a second thought to what was going on in our country.  Alfred E. Neuman ("What me worry?") was my twin.  

I had to take sides in the 1960 Presidential Election. I was 5. My dad liked JFK, but my mom was convinced she'd be cast into hell if she ever voted for any D. Both are long gone now. My dad's very last D vote was in 1960.

Edited by VKurtB

I think this thread had potential to be useful, informative, and interesting. 

Instead, I think it turned into pointless bickering and appendage measuring by some very strong willed and opinionated people. 

Can we try again, but maybe more useful? 

I do not doubt color is important for authentication purposes but I would feel a whole lot better if the gentleman who posted that photo of the lime-green Peace dollar allowed that he fished that coin out of the Gowanus Canal in Brooklyn sometime in the late 1950's when it was deemed to be the most polluted body of water in the nation putting it at the head of the list of toxic waste sites eligible for federal disaster aid. (I also secretly believe all that talk of spectral isotopes and super-heated neon vs. naked incandescent lightbulbs is nothing more than superfluous window dressing, IMNSHO.)

Don't worry, guys. I was just  making a point to QA. I am not going to start forum policing.

4 hours ago, VKurtB said:

By the way, this is not an Internet standard to which I subscribe, and I steadfastly refuse to abide by it. All caps can mean anything you want it to for you. I'm under no obligation to agree to it or observe it. It's your problem, basically.

I personally will not fuss about anyone posting using caps to make a point, but don't be confused/surprised/irritated/aggravated/angry if a majority of readers interpret your posts differently from they way you intended them.

I think I have said all I intend to on this subject. Sorry, Insider, for derailing your post. 

5 hours ago, Just Bob said:

As a most welcome voice of moderation on the Forum, I wholeheartedly accept your premise and observations.  I have found through experience it is near impossible to argue with a voice of reason -- and your enviable track record proves it.  No one should take offense.  I certainly don't.  [Besides, having hitchhiked through 62 of the 82 counties in the Magnolia State, I get a big kick out of viewing your collection of seldom if ever seen tokens as posted elsewhere.  Thanks for sharing them!  You are an indispensable asset to true collectors everywhere.]

26 minutes ago, Moxie15 said:

question for @Insider

If florescent light is good for viewing why is that I have such trouble seeing copper through a glass under florescent lighting?

Copper is a special case at best, Moxie. It just so happens that the wavelengths of light you need to view copper are often missing in at least the mercury vapor fluorescent lamps that dominate most indoor uses. There are exotic fluorescent lamps with special gases and phosphors, which we used in our photo lab to better see color, but they are prohibitively expensive. Stick with incandescent and let @Insider pursue his own mythology. 

5 hours ago, Moxie15 said:

question for @Insider

If florescent light is good for viewing why is that I have such trouble seeing copper through a glass under florescent lighting?

Excellent response. Also, it helps to empty the glass before looking at copper coins through it. This is especially important if the glass holds typical Pilsner.

Re incandescent bulbs...  I took the liberty of visiting the only two locations I knew to have genuine General Electric brand bulbs and discovered much to my dismay that they have plenty of such bulbs in various wattages but all came in yellow boxes marked "blanco suave," for soft white, and buried in the back the notation "Manufactured for GE Lighting, General Electric Company, Cleveland, OH 44112 USA." And below that: "Made in Hungary" (or "Made in China.")

There was even a bi-lingual pitch:  "Got the right light?  Try GE Reveal bulbs for enhanced, vivid surroundings."  I will let you, the coin collector, decide the veracity of that claim if you haven't done so already.

None of this disturbed me as much as the warning rendered in bold VKurtB-sized font, stated in English only:  NOT FOR SALE FOR USE IN THE UNITED STATES.

I asked the clerks at each of the locations to read the warning and tell me what it meant.  All either shook their heads No (as did the store managers). I asked them if they had ever heard of the Department of Consumer Affairs and whether they were licensed by that [New York City] agency.  Again they said No in various forms of fractured  English.  (All, of course, had no problem understanding me when I asked whether they had such bulbs with most eager to direct me to the aisle where they were shelved.)

Because there are people on this Forum who correctly surmised I am a functional illiterate with time on my hands, you will be pleased to learn I intend to file a complaint against each and every concern I find selling such bulbs, so marked, despite the fact that doing so, my being a major proponent of Edison's invention, is against interest.  [About twenty years back I spotted a cache of incandescent bulbs clearly marked NYTA (New York Transit Authority) which had apparently been stolen.  Months later, I happened to be in the area and discovered the property had been seized and a large red sticker from the City Marshal plastered on its padlocked door.] 

To my many detractors who have denounced me as a Rank Amateur, a Troll (and worse) feel free to add Rat to the list. I am, however, unapologetically a fan of incandescents though I readily concede the days of such antiquated lights are numbered.

7 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Re incandescent bulbs...  I took the liberty of visiting the only two locations I knew to have genuine General Electric brand bulbs and discovered much to my dismay that they have plenty of such bulbs in various wattages but all came in yellow boxes marked "blanco suave," for soft white, and buried in the back the notation "Manufactured for GE Lighting, General Electric Company, Cleveland, OH 44112 USA." And below that: "Made in Hungary" (or "Made in China.")

There was even a bi-lingual pitch:  "Got the right light?  Try GE Reveal bulbs for enhanced, vivid surroundings."  I will let you, the coin collector, decide the veracity of that claim if you haven't done so already.

None of this disturbed me as much as the warning rendered in bold VKurtB-sized font, stated in English only:  NOT FOR SALE FOR USE IN THE UNITED STATES.

I asked the clerks at each of the locations to read the warning and tell me what it meant.  All either shook their heads No (as did the store managers). I asked them if they had ever heard of the Department of Consumer Affairs and whether they were licensed by that [New York City] agency.  Again they said No in various forms of fractured  English.  (All, of course, had no problem understanding me when I asked whether they had such bulbs with most eager to direct me to the aisle where they were shelved.)

Because there are people on this Forum who correctly surmised I am a functional illiterate with time on my hands, you will be pleased to learn I intend to file a complaint against each and every concern I find selling such bulbs, so marked, despite the fact that doing so, my being a major proponent of Edison's invention, is against interest.  [About twenty years back I spotted a cache of incandescent bulbs clearly marked NYTA (New York Transit Authority) which had apparently been stolen.  Months later, I happened to be in the area and discovered the property had been seized and a large red sticker from the City Marshal plastered on its padlocked door.] 

To my many detractors who have denounced me as a Rank Amateur, a Troll (and worse) feel free to add Rat to the list. I am, however, unapologetically a fan of incandescents though I readily concede the days of such antiquated lights are numbered.

The whole incandescent fiasco is a load of ...

let the market decide and not the government. 

3 hours ago, Zebo said:

As a matter of sound public policy and science, you are, of course, fully correct.

As a matter of "too stupid to be allowed into public office" law making, Quintus is, alas, correct.

3 hours ago, Zebo said:

The market has and in the public's mind, cheaper is better.  Think about that the next time those piercing bluish-white headlights blind you in the rear-view mirror or those wonderful baked goods you remember from your youth have since been transformed into tasteless cardboard.  As far as I am concerned the rise and precipitous fall of civilization began not with  Mafia capo di tutti capi showing up in Federal court with leisure suits and running shoes, but with the advent of clad coinage. Pure and simple.

3 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

The market has and in the public's mind, cheaper is better.  Think about that the next time those piercing bluish-white headlights blind you in the rear-view mirror or those wonderful baked goods you remember from your youth have since been transformed into tasteless cardboard.  As far as I am concerned the rise and precipitous fall of civilization began not with  Mafia capo di tutti capi showing up in Federal court with leisure suits and running shoes, but with the advent of clad coinage. Pure and simple.

Not when the half dime gave way the cupronickel 5-cent piece? You disappoint me. :roflmao:

2 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Not when the half dime gave way the cupronickel 5-cent piece? You disappoint me. :roflmao:

How can anyone you have a delightful disdain for disappoint you?  One thing I appreciate about your comments are their unfathomable and vastly underappreciated depth. If If I am banned from this Forum, which is more a matter of when, not if, no one will notice, no one will care.  You would be sorely missed.  I think it safe to say you are the engine that keeps this Forum moving -- and attuned enough to be discreet in what you say and how you say it.  In the absence of the appropriate emoji, my hat's off to you, sir!

9 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

How can anyone you have a delightful disdain for disappoint you?  One thing I appreciate about your comments are their unfathomable and vastly underappreciated depth. If If I am banned from this Forum, which is more a matter of when, not if, no one will notice, no one will care.  You would be sorely missed.  I think it safe to say you are the engine that keeps this Forum moving -- and attuned enough to be discreet in what you say and how you say it.  In the absence of the appropriate emoji, my hat's off to you, sir!

Suffice it to say that I do not even begin to ascribe the date 1965 with any importance whatsoever, positive or negative. Some things just "are". The end of circulating silver is one of those.

Now, regarding my status here:

When I examine my profile page, up high and to the left, I see this:

"0 Warning Points

No restrictions being applied"

I suspect yours is similar.

Edited by VKurtB

3 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Suffice it to say that I do not even begin to ascribe the date 1965 with any importance whatsoever, positive or negative. Some things just "are". The end of circulating silver is one of those.

Now, regarding my status here:

When I examine my profile page, up high and to the left, I see this:

"0 Warning Points

No restrictions being applied"

I suspect yours is similar.

Small comfort.  Any objectionable material including self-deprecating humor is quietly excised before the finished product is submitted. One entire masterpiece was quickly deleted and substituted with a single word book-ended with parentheses: "(snip)". There is also a time limit -- on moderators' patience. Rather than wait out a member's progression, any monentary distraction, e.g., a fellow member's reply one is curious enough to investigate immediately, is used to delete the entire stream-of-consciousness then in the making.

The Forum, once abuzz with serendipitous chatter, is like a wake one would like to attend but for the possible appearance of someone you'd rather avoid the awkwardness of being obliged to acknowledge.  My days are clearly numbered.  

2 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Small comfort.  Any objectionable material including self-deprecating humor is quietly excised before the finished product is submitted. One entire masterpiece was quickly deleted and substituted with a single word book-ended with parentheses: "(snip)". There is also a time limit -- on moderators' patience. Rather than wait out a member's progression, any monentary distraction, e.g., a fellow member's reply one is curious enough to investigate immediately, is used to delete the entire stream-of-consciousness then in the making.

The Forum, once abuzz with serendipitous chatter, is like a wake one would like to attend but for the possible appearance of someone you'd rather avoid the awkwardness of being obliged to acknowledge.  My days are clearly numbered.  

Nah, it's Labor Freakin' Day weekend Friday. Regular people have families and places to go and people to see. IOW, it's not prime time right now.

9 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Nah, it's Labor Freakin' Day weekend Friday. Regular people have families and places to go and people to see. IOW, it's not prime time right now.

Tempus fugit and provides the pause some members will need to forget they are supposed to despise me.

9 hours ago, RWB said:

Do Mr. Tempus and Ms. Fugit get double frequent flyer miles?

Judging by the interrogatories leveled at me by people I do not know just about everywhere I go, to avoid quarantine everybody is pretty much staying put for the duration.  We'll see what happens in October with the schools, and November with the elections.

On 9/4/2020 at 3:50 PM, RWB said:

Do Mr. Tempus and Ms. Fugit get double frequent flyer miles?

Try to have them paged the next time you're at an airport. Then we'll know. 

But the more insightful quote may be:

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."  -   Groucho Marx

Edited by VKurtB

If only Groucho had been on the ballot in 2016....

But....then we would have been a "Marxist state," rather than a wanna-be "Banana republic" with or without the fruit flies (or the duck flying down with $50).

On 9/4/2020 at 9:05 AM, VKurtB said:

[Recall, I made a comment about the "advent of clad coinage," and you responded with the above. Which then got me to thinking about the copper-nickel 1863 Indian cent I once had, and it suddenly occurred to me: the guy who said he'd rather be right than nice, was, how shall I put it, wrong!

From the archives... "NOV. 1, 1965 - The first clad coins were released Nov. 1, 1965, but the Mint continued producing 1964 dated silver coins through April 1966." 

My Indian and those III-cent and 5-cent cupro-nickel pieces from the 19th century are no more clad than are the 20-franc gold roosters. Clad coinage is one layer of metal sandwiched by another which is what gives them that distinctive colored edge look. (Bi-metallics are another matter entirely.)  The others are alloyed compositions comprised of various metals.

I hope you can accept this because that dancing emoji is going to continue to keep me up nights until you do. 😄]

21 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[Recall, I made a comment about the "advent of clad coinage," and you responded with the above. Which then got me to thinking about the copper-nickel 1863 Indian cent I once had, and it suddenly occurred to me: the guy who said he'd rather be right than nice, was, how shall I put it, wrong!

From the archives... "NOV. 1, 1965 - The first clad coins were released Nov. 1, 1965, but the Mint continued producing 1964 dated silver coins through April 1966." 

My Indian and those III-cent and 5-cent cupro-nickel pieces from the 19th century are no more clad than are the 20-franc gold roosters. Clad coinage is one layer of metal sandwiched by another which is what gives them that distinctive colored edge look. (Bi-metallics are another matter entirely.)  The others are alloyed compositions comprised of various metals.

I hope you can accept this because that dancing emoji is going to continue to keep me up nights until you do. 😄]

I apologize. I thought it was the demise of circulating silver that caused you such dismay, not the advent of pieces “with funny colored edges”. Now a large portion of the world has not gone our way, opting instead for simple plating. How does that option tickle your fancy? Think carefully. It has implications for reeded edge coins. Plated ones often peel.

Even the U.K. fundamentally changed the shape and size of their 5p and 10p pieces and their reeds before adopting plated steel for those denominations. The U.S. obsession for NOT changing the size and shape of our circulating coinage has its own consequences. 

Edited by VKurtB