• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brand new 2020 Nickels in change today
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Expensive way to preserve pocket change. Just get a clean paper or plastic roll and put you uncirculated nickel into that. They will be just for for the next century.

1 hour ago, RWB said:

Expensive way to preserve pocket change. Just get a clean paper or plastic roll and put you uncirculated nickel into that. They will be just for for the next century.

lol I'm not going to live another century. They would be great holiday gifts for the kids.

Awesome find..  I am kind of partial to nickles........ having most of them in some type of condition back to my shield 1866 shield w/rays ....  i would start on some half dimes but they rent nickles and are awful small  :(   guess i need a ticker set of glasses.....

I'm mostly a nickel guy, too, but I "put back" all exceptionally nice coins I get in commerce. I don't have all that many years left, but my kid's kid(s) may like them. He's 25 and more of a coin nut than I am. He's an ANA certified exhibit judge for European coins too. The only 2020 nickels I've seen so far are proofs of one sort or another. I'm still getting ridiculously nice 2019P's also. I recently got seriously into my Shield set at a local auction in central Pennsylvania. Really nice material that had been held for decades by a collector who died. All raw, all very nice. I overspent my budget at that sale.

Edited by VKurtB

16 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I overspent my budget at that sale.

That is really easy to do..................Just don't tell the wife!!  My nickles are mostly raw and in Whitman or Dansco  short about 12 on the buffalo MS set and half of the V set left.......... tough to find good ones people don't want a few limbs for.

1 minute ago, Jtnewell said:

That is really easy to do..................Just don't tell the wife!!  My nickles are mostly raw and in Whitman or Dansco  short about 12 on the buffalo MS set and half of the V set left.......... tough to find good ones people don't want a few limbs for.

That's the best part, she was sitting right next to me, egging me on! She gets "auction fever". I have been really good at avoiding it. The material was so nice it deserved a small account transfer. It WAS small, but still...

Just now, VKurtB said:

hat's the best part, she was sitting right next to me,

hahahahah i see you have the same problem i do.........  it is a good one to have........  we will be walking the floor at the FUN show and she will be hey "look at this one"  oh it is beautiful we need it.....but honey that one cost as much as i make all month......  oh it is ok we can call it a Christmas present!!! hahahaha

13 hours ago, Modwriter said:

lol I'm not going to live another century. They would be great holiday gifts for the kids.

But...what could they buy with a shiny nickel?

A "penny" gum ball is now 25-cents.... A "nickel" Coke costs $1.50 or $5 in a sports stadium.

39 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Impossible to know what a shinny nickel from today will be worth in 100 years, could be nothing or something.  Really depends on what people in the next century desire to collect.

One well placed but poorly timed meteorite of the correct type could even substantially cripple the worldwide gold market. Not likely, but still...

Just now, VKurtB said:

Man after my own, and my son’s heart. He’s 25, and has completed his Buffalo nickel set, except for varieties, in a nicely matched XF set. 

We “stole” the ‘26-S in a multi-coin auction lot in which most guys never checked the bag contents. 

20 hours ago, VKurtB said:

One well placed but poorly timed meteorite of the correct type could even substantially cripple the worldwide gold market. Not likely, but still...

I remember a Lost In Space episode that they landed on  a planet where their "rocks" were diamonds. Dr. Smith tried to bag some up.

Edited by Modwriter