• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I just figured out why some members post so much?
2 2

104 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

One guy's "independent thinker" is another guy's "misinformation spreader". It really is no more complicated than that. Let me 'splain sumpin' ta ya. All opinions are NOT equal, and what's more, they never have been, ever, in history. Ever. Did I say, "ever"? It's why the American Numismatic Association certifies exhibit judges. It's why courts certify expert witnesses. It's why 'regular folk' get legal counsel to jump up and yell "OBJECTION" when they offer an opinion on the stand.

There are expert witnesses called by both sides in every prosecution.  I believe it was a few expert witnesses whose credentials were certified and whose testimonies were relied upon by The People in the O.J. Simpson trial that permitted him to prevail. What does that prove?  

Where were all the certified expert witnesses when that young boy got a polite No! from any authority who would listen culminating in a curt letter from the Mint Director stating, unambiguously, that no copper pennies were produced by the mint in 1943?  (They were like many on this Forum cowed into silence for fear of losing their credibility, their respectability, at the hands of those more vocal and far more intimidating than they were.)

I expressed my opinion on this thread without going into the histrionics of stating for the record that I am not here to make friends, etc.  Every member on this site -- as well as the occasional interloper -- is free to accept it, or reject it outright, as he sees fit -- with or without a reason.  I couldn't care less either way because the public's attention span and memory is short.  When the very next controversy erupts, the collective focus will shift and move on.  Is there anyone still alive who really cares whether the commander-in-chief's tax returns are ever released at this point? 

Here's another "opinion."  Instead of fiddling around with colors, footprints that the late Hoving of Tiffany would have sniffed at as being in very poor taste or converse/concave coinage, how about a special issue that would truly honor our heritage in 2026, the nation's 250th Anniversary?  VKurtB promptly ridiculed the thought and term I used (sestercentennial).  Did I fall all to pieces, grab my marbles and go back home?  Of course not!  If a dozen nations can survive an earthquake and tsunami and innumerable deaths and casualties shouldn't I be able to entertain a thought without getting all bent out of shape?  Why can't we all be just like Just Bob?

32 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

There are expert witnesses called by both sides in every prosecution.  I believe it was a few expert witnesses whose credentials were certified and whose testimonies were relied upon by The People in the O.J. Simpson trial that permitted him to prevail. What does that prove?  

Where were all the certified expert witnesses when that young boy got a polite No! from any authority who would listen culminating in a curt letter from the Mint Director stating, unambiguously, that no copper pennies were produced by the mint in 1943?  (They were like many on this Forum cowed into silence for fear of losing their credibility, their respectability, at the hands of those more vocal and far more intimidating than they were.)

I expressed my opinion on this thread without going into the histrionics of stating for the record that I am not here to make friends, etc.  Every member on this site -- as well as the occasional interloper -- is free to accept it, or reject it outright, as he sees fit -- with or without a reason.  I couldn't care less either way because the public's attention span and memory is short.  When the very next controversy erupts, the collective focus will shift and move on.  Is there anyone still alive who really cares whether the commander-in-chief's tax returns are ever released at this point? 

Here's another "opinion."  Instead of fiddling around with colors, footprints that the late Hoving of Tiffany would have sniffed at as being in very poor taste or converse/concave coinage, how about a special issue that would truly honor our heritage in 2026, the nation's 250th Anniversary?  VKurtB promptly ridiculed the thought and term I used (sestercentennial).  Did I fall all to pieces, grab my marbles and go back home?  Of course not!  If a dozen nations can survive an earthquake and tsunami and innumerable deaths and casualties shouldn't I be able to entertain a thought without getting all bent out of shape?  Why can't we all be just like Just Bob?

Why? I'll tell you why. Because to some people, being nice is far more important than being right, and God bless them. We need people like them. I'm NOT one of them. To me, being right is better than being anything else, even nice. If you want namby-pamby niceness, don't read my posts. Someone else can fill that role. If you want a more "gosh he's right, but I wish he wouldn't say it that bluntly", then I'm your guy. I prefer to read posts from people like me, even if I think they're wrong. If I want nice, nice, I can dig through my old VHS tape box for my kid's old Barney and Teletubbies tapes, and get nauseous.

I'm a 55 year tenure Philadelphia Eagles fan. We have a certain standard to uphold, after all. :nyah:

Edited by VKurtB

Besides, I have found that the closer you get to where Laura Sperber plied her trade, the more blunt, snarky, and pugnacious you get. But there's a trade-off. If you get TOO close, you lose the ability to spell in the English language, too. So there has to be a "sweet spot" and it has to be around here somewhere. If you get too far west, you tumble into "front-runner" Pittsburgh Steeler fan country, and we can't have that.

7 hours ago, ldhair said:

I'm not impressed with long fancy words. They don't cover up someone that is trying to act like they know what they are talking about.  

That's probably why you admire the Flying Eagles.  No verbiage.  Just a year and the United States of America on one side, and One Cent on the other.  A limited run has only enhanced its intrigue.

As far as acting like I know what I am talking about, I will quote arguably one of the greatest horse trainers of all time, Howard "Buddy" Jacobson, who in response to a reporter's query, said:  "You don't have to be smart in this business.  You just have to pay attention."

36 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

That's probably why you admire the Flying Eagles.  No verbiage.  Just a year and the United States of America on one side, and One Cent on the other.  A limited run has only enhanced its intrigue.

As far as acting like I know what I am talking about, I will quote arguably one of the greatest horse trainers of all time, Howard "Buddy" Jacobson, who in response to a reporter's query, said:  "You don't have to be smart in this business.  You just have to pay attention."

Like this?

www.goodreads.com/quotes/84250

15 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Like this?

www.goodreads.com/quotes/84250

Now I forget if it was Isaac Asimov my mother told me she went to school with in Russia -- quite possible, as they were born less than a year apart, or Nikita Krushchev. 

You lost me on all that anti-intellectual chatter.  About how many years of formal schooling do you believe I really have?  I suspect you know which is why you have always regarded me as your equal. 

On 9/4/2020 at 9:18 AM, bsshog40 said:

I hear ya Larry! I've seen many people in my life that are soo intelligent but have no common sense at all. I have no prejudice with intelligent individuals, but most just show their ignorance thru conversation. 

[That's okay, gentlemen. Just be sure you cast your ballot on Insider's "Research Poll for US, World, Ancient posters" before the conclusion of Labor Day weekend. Tks!]

On 8/19/2020 at 8:50 PM, bsshog40 said:

Signatures no longer show up under members who post. We use to have links to our registry pages and post them in our sig line. Nothing anymore! I have yet to see a sig line on any member anymore.

Bobby, I can see a signature line for you.  You have to turn on signatures in settings to see them.  Follow steps below.

1.  Click on the upper right menu for your account, and click on "Account Settings".

step1.jpg.d83d900e0290d0350e4c7e81fbc8bd6c.jpg

2.  Within Account Setting, click on the "Signature" section.

step2.jpg.f94a109993ecf8c2c8ebcf43b4f605a8.jpg

3.  Make sure you have the toggle switch for signatures turned on.

step3.jpg.05f100626fc4b23c029044ae408c05ba.jpg

The hosting company must have the data to confirm, but the site switch a few years back seemed to really cause lots of people to leave.  The site wasn't as user-friendly.

Some more color indicating active and updated threads wouldn't hurt.

To All Concerned:  

I neither need nor require a signature line. (Why would anyone need  or require a signature line for a made-up user name?)

The very suggestion of the dissemination of signature lines is highly suspect.  If you really want to introduce a little excitement in your life, why not also include your birth date, social security number and right thumb print? 

There is not a single person frequenting this site who is unaware I am the one and only Quintus Arrius.  What most members, including my favorite, VKurtB, may be unaware of is, quoting Shakespeare, "Who steals my [change purse and wallet] steals trash. So act accordingly.

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

To All Concerned:  

I neither need nor require a signature line. (Why would anyone need  or require a signature line for a made-up user name?)

The very suggestion of the dissemination of signature lines is highly suspect.  If you really want to introduce a little excitement in your life, why not also include your birth date, social security number and right thumb print? 

There is not a single person frequenting this site who is unaware I am the one and only Quintus Arrius.  What most members, including my favorite, VKurtB, may be unaware of is, quoting Shakespeare, "Who steals my [change purse and wallet] steals trash. So act accordingly.

Don't forget about credit card numbers, pin number, and house address:roflmao:

14 hours ago, 1917 said:

Don't forget about credit card numbers, pin number, and house address:roflmao:

Some people need to hide who they are, and some don’t. It’s that simple.