• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morgan Silver Dollar Grading

29 posts in this topic

I am disappointed with the NGC grading on an 1890-CC VAM-4 Tail Bar and an 1895-O.  Both received grades of VF Cleaned. However, ever other Morgan from this same sixty year old roll received NGC grades of MS61-MS64.  I just find this very curious.  Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, Cadet67 said:

Will do so once I physically get them back. 

For "problem coins", they don't even do the low res online photos. :S

Just find it really ironic that the two most valuable coins in the roll were judged to have been cleaned when ALL the other Morgans were graded as MS.  Sure, I know it's possible, but since these rolls came from the estate of a silver hoarder, who had 4 safes plus a house full of silver items and coins, I find it hard to believe.

54 minutes ago, Cadet67 said:

Just find it really ironic that the two most valuable coins in the roll were judged to have been cleaned when ALL the other Morgans were graded as MS.  Sure, I know it's possible, but since these rolls came from the estate of a silver hoarder, who had 4 safes plus a house full of silver items and coins, I find it hard to believe.

Do you find this hard to believe? Perhaps they had much more junior graders handle the more mundane coins, but assigned the really scarce ones to senior graders who are more persnickety. Keep in mind, in the case of very rare pieces, each new one certified affects the market for all the others as well. This also applies to "top pop" coins. It's hard to set a new "top pop", and when it happens, the order seems to take longer coming back, and they spent longer in "Grading/Quality Control".

18 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Do you find this hard to believe? Perhaps they had much more junior graders handle the more mundane coins, but assigned the really scarce ones to senior graders who are more persnickety. Keep in mind, in the case of very rare pieces, each new one certified affects the market for all the others as well. This also applies to "top pop" coins. It's hard to set a new "top pop", and when it happens, the order seems to take longer coming back, and they spent longer in "Grading/Quality Control".

Excellent post!  You are right on.  I paid for the 2 day turn around Express service, but it has taken 6 work days for them to post the grading results. Thank you for the insight it was very helpful.

In addition, cleaning coins was actually acceptable 60 + years ago. The person who owned the coins, or the dealer who sold them, could have decided to make his more valuable coins more attractive by "shining them up."

I'm not saying it's impossible to get a fresh really rare coin certified straight graded or set a new "top pop", but they aren't going to nonchalant it either.

9 minutes ago, Cadet67 said:

Thank you all for the comments.  Very informative and helpful.  However, I do admit that I would love to have both coins graded by another agency.

Cadet67:  Once I disagreed with what our host graded two CC Trade Dollars so I cracked them out and sent them to PCGS.  There's also the third place runner up ANACS.or ICG.  Hope things turn out better for you and good luck.

57 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Cadet67:  Once I disagreed with what our host graded two CC Trade Dollars so I cracked them out and sent them to PCGS.  There's also the third place runner up ANACS.or ICG.  Hope things turn out better for you and good luck.

Curious, how did you make out with the PCGS grading?  

Preservation/state of wear is one thing.

Cleaning or other abuse is a separate critter that might or might not affect the coin's appearance and render it "ungradeable."

12 hours ago, Cadet67 said:

Curious, how did you make out with the PCGS grading?  

NGC = VF Details Cleaned. Both.      PCGS VF Details Cleaned. Both.   But that was okay Cadet67.  It was part of the learning process,  I was very angry until Insider, who posts on this forum, helped me understand.  The good folks here will help you out.  Good luck..

9 hours ago, kbbpll said:

I'm confused. Why would you think that two coins in a roll couldn't be VF Cleaned just because the rest of the coins graded 61-64?

No need to be confused.  I fully realized that not every coin in the roll would necessarily be graded MS, but just found it ironic that the two most valuable ones were graded the lowest and detailed.  My original post was motivated by disappointment NOT disbelief.

Yes, I learned a good lesson.  Although, in my defense, the roll photos were not as clear as the ones I have just posted.  Thanks for the feedback it is appreciated.

On 8/19/2020 at 11:22 AM, Cadet67 said:

I am disappointed with the NGC grading on an 1890-CC VAM-4 Tail Bar and an 1895-O.  Both received grades of VF Cleaned. However, ever other Morgan from this same sixty year old roll received NGC grades of MS61-MS64.  I just find this very curious.  Thoughts?

Trust the results but verify.  The professionals at the grading service (even the young rookies) are there for a reason.  One radio icon explains it this way.  Tens of thousands of folks play football yet a very small percent are good enough to be pros.  

On 8/19/2020 at 3:58 PM, VKurtB said:

The key word here is "Perhaps" as used in this sentence:  Perhaps this poster has no idea what goes on at NGC or any other TPGS for that matter.

Always remember that much of what you read on chat forms is:  :whistle: