• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your least recent acquisition
1 1

10 posts in this topic

In other words, the coin you've had for the longest time. Include the year you got it and a story if you want.

Mine is among many I got from my grandfather in 1972. My siblings and two cousins sat around a table and picked coins out of a pile, round-robin. Afterwards, there was a bit of horse trading. When I found out how much this one was worth, I was hooked for life. My grandfather was head librarian at the Chicago Tribune during the 1940s and 50s. People mailed in coins from all over the world, and I think some reporters returning from assignments also brought some.

1948_100.jpg

I honestly don't know.
The first purchase I made, I think, was some silver bullion. One ounce coins, and ten ounce bars. The first coin, however was probably a wheat cent, found in circulation, way back when I was a youngster.

Nice twist I don't have photos of my first coins, my grandmother gave me twenty or twenty five AG-G Indian cents when I was ten or eleven years old.  I got one of those cheap tri-fold holders and a bottle of brasso and went to town shinning those babies up, doh! what did I know of numismatics lol.  That was my introduction and the beginning of my collecting journey, I bought a few inexpensive raw coins here and there until around the age op thirty when I bought my first slabbed coin.  As that coin is the first coin that I have photos of I post that, my 1909 SVDB PCGS MS64RB bought 1998 from a local bid board of a really great local dealer, wish he was still with us.

1909-S-VDB-Comp.jpg

My very first certified acquisition was a 1916 D WLH MS 62 NGC, in an old number 7 slab, that I picked up in 1996.  The strike was a bit soft but the originality was off the charts.  I sold it to a dear Walker friend 15 years later and purchased a PCGS MS 64.  Since I no longer own the 62, I will not post an image of it.  Rather, I will post my first-ever Heritage purchase from early 2005.  It is a 1918 NGC 64 from the Richard J Chouinard collection.  I thought that I had overpaid, at the time, but now the price has caught up.  This coin looks 65 to me.

749603_Full_Obv (1).jpg

749603_Full_Rev (1).jpg

On 8/14/2020 at 2:52 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

A 1/10th ounce Kruggerand from 1982.  I used it with my tuition refund from college !! xD

Sorry, no pic available now. :nyah:

Wow, you really have the gold bug thing BAAAD, don’t you?

Don't have a pic of my first, sorry.  I picked this one up three weeks ago from Northeast.  I have a passion for Rebel gold.  :banana:

NGC AU 53

1858D_NGC_53.jpg

1858D-NGC-53_R.jpg

Edited by Alex in PA.

1 hour ago, Alex in PA. said:

Don't have a pic of my first, sorry.  I picked this one up three weeks ago from Northeast.  I have a passion for Rebel gold.  :banana:

NGC AU 53

1858D_NGC_53.jpg

1858D-NGC-53_R.jpg

Very nice dead-center strike with even wear!

Was First coin I ever saved, poker game, 1963. He had about 50 of these, taken from his dads bedroom. Used to carry this in my pocket to flip for heads or tails for several years.

20200829_162628.jpg

20200829_162543.jpg