• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2004-D Lost coin's never released for circulation
1 1

8 posts in this topic

This is false information,  a big O thumbprint. Lol this was given to me, thought I would check it out. I looked it up and found others, but mine  has both D MM. The other one's has P or D mixed in the collection. Hmmm. 

20200813_171339.jpg

20200813_171105.jpg

20200813_171005.jpg

"Lost coins" could mean anything or nothing. "Never released for circulation" means that they are uncirculated. (We hope) "Collectible condition" means  absolutely nothing. Just a marketing ploy. 

The coins don't look terrible though, and if it was free, it was certainly worth more than you paid. :bigsmile:

1 hour ago, RWB said:

They'll buy a Slurpee....that's about all.

Speaking of slurpees, my wife wanted one yesterday. I drove to the neighborhood AM/PM picked up a couple more things. $20.16 was the total. I handed the cashier $30 and she asks me if I have 16 cents. They did not have the change, so I go out to my truck to get a quarter, come back, give her the quarter, she gets mad, dumps their change jar on the counter and gives me my nine cents change, no keepers. 

They are calling them that because neither of those coin were made intending for them to be released into circulation.  They were made for sale to collectors only.  After 2002 the Sac dollar was NIFC and the half dollar was NIRC from 2002 to 2016 and since 2018.  The 2017's apparently were made for circulation.

11 hours ago, Modwriter said:

Speaking of slurpees, my wife wanted one yesterday. I drove to the neighborhood AM/PM picked up a couple more things. $20.16 was the total. I handed the cashier $30 and she asks me if I have 16 cents. They did not have the change, so I go out to my truck to get a quarter, come back, give her the quarter, she gets mad, dumps their change jar on the counter and gives me my nine cents change, no keepers. 

Everyone seems a little tense these days. Will likely extend until mid-November.

On 8/14/2020 at 4:33 AM, Conder101 said:

They are calling them that because neither of those coin were made intending for them to be released into circulation.  They were made for sale to collectors only.  After 2002 the Sac dollar was NIFC and the half dollar was NIRC from 2002 to 2016 and since 2018.  The 2017's apparently were made for circulation.

This is the correct answer. Neither of those coins was released into the banking system, and the only way to get them was directly from the U.S. Mint. Almost any year recently is the same thing.