• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961-1997 Princess Diana 5 dollar commemorative coin DDR
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone know anything about these British coin's. There's something going on with the date and lettering. I did some research but didn't find anything. Right now I'm trying to compare other coins on line to this one to see if theres doubling . Thanks 

20200807_181115.jpg

20200807_181230.jpg

20200807_181351.jpg

20200807_181725.jpg

20200807_181748.jpg

To my many detractors who mocked my use of a 30-power loupe:  do you honestly think you would be able to detect the barely imperceptible vibration of this gem with a mere 5-to-7 jammy?  Take a good look at those top three photographs. Thank you, Mr. Hinkle, for vindicating me once again. And good luck on your quest!

13 hours ago, Just Bob said:

No offense intended to the artist or engraver, but that is a horrible likeness of the princess.

Glad someone else feels that way. I scrolled down and went "yikes!".

The "Marshall Islands" made all kinds of this gimmick commemorative stuff using private mints. There's 22 pages of it on Numista. Your coin isn't British. They're all made by private mints, so I can imagine they have their own problems with quality. Yours is this one https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces93952.html

17 hours ago, Just Bob said:

No offense intended to the artist or engraver, but that is a horrible likeness of the princess.

They used a post crash picture.

And if you think that is bad, take a look at their 1996 transgender-alien hybrid James Dean. 

g114.jpg

17 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

To my many detractors who mocked my use of a 30-power loupe:  do you honestly think you would be able to detect the barely imperceptible vibration of this gem with a mere 5-to-7 jammy?  Take a good look at those top three photographs. Thank you, Mr. Hinkle, for vindicating me once again. And good luck on your quest!

If you have to use 30 power to see something, then it is probably not worth seeing. And I don't see any doubled die. What I see is a mixture of the way the die was engraved along with some minor shifting of the die/planchet when struck. 

It looks as if the primary problem is creeping ugly....and it's expanding.

Edited by RWB