• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976-S proof set error
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hi again everyone, a local guy in my town gave this to me , because it is my birth year. I was wondering why he was asking a few days ago what year I was born ,cool though. Anyways I was checking it out, and the penny looked like a fingerprint on it. I thought you can check out the pics ,and see what you think. Interesting. Because it looks like to me something else is going on with this. 

20200725_124206.jpg

20200725_124315.jpg

20200725_124642.jpg

20200725_125150.jpg

20200725_125642.jpg

It is residue from some type of mishandling at the mint or from improper storage, copper is very reactive to environmental factors.  It may have already damaged or etched the mirrors and if so the proof surface is ruined.  

25 minutes ago, Big Nub numismatics said:

Those dark lines appear on proof and mint sets. I have a early mint set with dark striations on it. I don't know for sure, but I suspect it's from the mint employees handling the coin and/or the packaging itself being pressed agains the coin.

Thank you,  would that be a little die crack, or die chip going down his cheek. If you look at the full obverse of the coin it shows pretty well.

2 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

It is residue from some type of mishandling at the mint or from improper storage, copper is very reactive to environmental factors.  It may have already damaged or etched the mirrors and if so the proof surface is ruined.  

Ok , thank you.