• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1883 red cameo proof Indian head cent
1 1

36 posts in this topic

Again? That coin has so many pimples, the color is wrong, and there is still not any reticle polishing. It looks fake to begin with. If I were you I would stop picking up coins from Toliver Rare coins, and start making sure the coins are real before dropping thousands of dollars on counterfeits.

You've blown close to a grand, that we've seen, on this seller, with juiced/deceptive photos, after posting a bunch of garbage on here and getting told it's garbage. I don't know what to say except I have some real estate for sale.

I forgot to ask you to post a photograph of your Indian head cent cameo... does that come with or without an extra serving of centslessness? What I mean to say is you obviously have one.

Edited by Ratzie33

All I can say is that it does not look like a proof to my eye and it does not show enough definition between the field and the device to qualify as a cameo. Please get it graded then post it in the holder with the grade showing to prove me wrong. 

Think --- What does language like this tell you about the coins offered for sale?

"IF YOU BID ON A COIN WITH THE INTENTION OF HAVING IT GRADED BY A THIRD PARTY SERVICE YOU DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK! ALL DESCRIPTIONS ARE OUR OPINIONS ONLY."

RWB has hit the nail on the head with this one.  If I read that on a sellers page I'd be gone right quick.  Proof huh?  

James it really is sad to see you throwing money away like this, I really do feel sorry for you.

Edited by Coinbuf

I think it probably is a proof.  The cameo is not real impressive and the stains probably restrict it down to maybe a PF-62.  So a proof but a low end one.  I think you overpaid.

The sellers images were evidently done to high the staining.

Edited by Conder101

2 hours ago, Conder101 said:

The sellers images were evidently done to high the staining.

The images are also missing the giant blob of whatever it is going through the E in ONE.

This is definitely a "no Grade" coin.

Carbon spotted , polished , when brought to normal brightness - damaged neck area (Env?)

Hit on reverse near the E in one

Looks like proof - borderline cameo low grade

Edited by jgrinz

Is this coin really deserving of this one-drop-of-blood in the center of a shark frenzy which really ought to be reserved for outright, blatant, tricksters and fraudsters? I don't think so. Besides, what about the "chilling effect" this rat pack attack will have on the uninitiated who may be considering submitting their own specimens for review?  I challenge any reader reading this right now to view the offerings presented at buyuscoins.com and state unequivocally that they found absolutely no problem with any of the grades assigned therein. [The Red Book used to advise that "Proof" refers to the special unique process the Mint uses to produce its line of not-for-circulation coins. I am strictly old-school in that regard. A proof, is a proof.] Constructive criticism offered in a spirit of good will, minus the condescending, wholly superfluous, negative verbiage, is always welcome. In the interim, caveat emptor!

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Rumination

18 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

this rat pack attack

Normally not good form, but you have to take into account the "body of work" on here from certain folks.