• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

U.S Banks culling W quarters

5 posts in this topic

Unfortunately I was on an enthusiastic W quarter hunt after finding salt river bay quarters at the local store . This led me to the supplier , U.S bank west Saint Paul Minnesota .   Upon arrival I was only allowed 2 rolls of quarters , but was horrified to see 3 employees opening all the loomis rolls and culling / searching for West Point quarters . The rolls were loomis but one was re-wrapped with loose ends And some in brown house rolls .  Obvious to any coin collector but not the average dude . One roll contained 39 p American Samoa quarters and 1 old Louisiana state quarter ... obviously replacing a removed coin . The other roll was a mint 2016 Theodore Roosevelt D roll . Not bad , kept it . To make a long story short , don’t hunt for W quarters at U.S bank.  

On 7/21/2020 at 4:24 AM, Morpheus1967 said:

And with the coin shortage going on, I am surprised you were given even 2 rolls of quarters.  

Or that they didn't charge you for them - and I've seen this happen before.

On 7/20/2020 at 10:10 PM, Sir Shep III said:

Upon arrival I was only allowed 2 rolls of quarters , but was horrified to see 3 employees opening all the loomis rolls and culling / searching for West Point quarters 

I can't imagine the bank manager would be too thrilled about employees spending their work time doing this and doing it in a place where customers could see them, so I doubt you directly observed this happening.

I would also be surprised if this approach was successful given that, to my understanding, the W quarters were being dropped into bulk bags - not into mint rolls. So, again, from what I've understood, you aren't going to get a W from a roll unless it's already circulated a bit and gotten put into a roll subsequently.

On 7/23/2020 at 12:13 PM, Revenant said:

I can't imagine the bank manager would be too thrilled about employees spending their work time doing this and doing it in a place where customers could see them, so I doubt you directly observed this happening.

I would also be surprised if this approach was successful given that, to my understanding, the W quarters were being dropped into bulk bags - not into mint rolls. So, again, from what I've understood, you aren't going to get a W from a roll unless it's already circulated a bit and gotten put into a roll subsequently.

Armored services get coins from multiple sources not just the federal reserve banks.  Companies like Loomis collect change from retail stores and from banks that receive coin that need to be verified.  Loomis then takes all that change and counts/verifies as needed and rerolls all that change to redistribute back to banks, augmenting the supply as needed with new coins from the federal reserve bank.  So Loomis rolls could be new rolls or rolls of change that is in the process of being recycled, but its my understanding that the new W qtrs have not been released just yet.

As to the employees searching rolls at the bank well its bad form but I would not be all that surprised if it does/is happening.  I have heard stories of branch managers that have instructed tellers to inform them of any rolls or large change deposits from older customers.  The manager will then search those deposits for silver or collector coins, clearly this is not the norm but it does happen now and again.