• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2015 silver eagle dollar DDO
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I can't find DDOs on these. But would this be considered one. Or is this MD. I'm afraid to take it out of the flip until I get gloves to check out some of the rest. But the L and I in liberty looks like some what doubled. Hmmm interesting. 

20200717_092226.jpg

20200717_091716.jpg

20200717_091832.jpg

So I was doing a little more research on this. Is this caused by a bouncing die, Would the reason be it's MD. This is really cool and interesting. 

Basically, yes. It is like chatter on a lathe. Something was not tight and moved during the strike. I do not know enough about the press or the process to say for sure that it bounced, or slid, shucked and jived. But something moved. Machine doubling can also be cause by erosion, die wear, and several other phenomenon. It is extremely common and not considered a collectible error. 

2 hours ago, Moxie15 said:

Basically, yes. It is like chatter on a lathe. Something was not tight and moved during the strike. I do not know enough about the press or the process to say for sure that it bounced, or slid, shucked and jived. But something moved. Machine doubling can also be cause by erosion, die wear, and several other phenomenon. It is extremely common and not considered a collectible error. 

My understanding is that any "Doubled Die" after 1999 is basically the result of the same thing, but the "shuck & jive" occurred during the single-squeeze hubbing. So when people think they're seeing a new DD, it's important to remember that traditional doubled dies don't happen after 1999, because the dies are only pressed once.

1 hour ago, kbbpll said:

My understanding is that any "Doubled Die" after 1999 is basically the result of the same thing, but the "shuck & jive" occurred during the single-squeeze hubbing. So when people think they're seeing a new DD, it's important to remember that traditional doubled dies don't happen after 1999, because the dies are only pressed once.

That's good understanding. Like the Lincoln cent's from 83 to date ,there from my understanding is pressed once. But they call some of them DDOs. So really confusing a bit, but good information to know. Thanks 

1 hour ago, Hinkle said:

Like the Lincoln cent's from 83 to date

I only said 1999 because after that, all dies were single-squeezed (supposedly). Various denominations happened earlier. My knowledge only comes from https://www.doubleddie.com/58201.html

There are still lots of DDs, they just don't happen the same way, and I'm not sure if the mint solved the problem. There seem to be a bazillion of them since then, but they're all too obscure and microscopic for me to care about. Some of the ear ones on Lincoln are cool I guess.

9 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

I only said 1999 because after that, all dies were single-squeezed (supposedly). Various denominations happened earlier. My knowledge only comes from https://www.doubleddie.com/58201.html

There are still lots of DDs, they just don't happen the same way, and I'm not sure if the mint solved the problem. There seem to be a bazillion of them since then, but they're all too obscure and microscopic for me to care about. Some of the ear ones on Lincoln are cool I guess.

True, I don't look for double dies on Lincoln's zinc. Im talking about on dates and lettering. I'm more into ears, wam, cams ect.... thanks for the link.