• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1894-S barber dime.

32 posts in this topic

The Coin up for discussion today is the 1894-S babe dime. I’ve compared Photos from a couple graded examples and have come to a conclusion about the low mintage of this coin. Could it be possibly be that the die didn’t support the S minted on the back of the coin? I seen a graded example of one that that looks to have a filled die on the S even as a proof graded coin. I’ll post a pic below. I found a specimen that seem to show what seems to be a Faint S on a 1894 dime and thought could it be possible? It looks as though it has a filled die to me. looking at other graded examples, I found one that seems to display the filled die. If a die fill had started to show after just 23 minted is it possible that’s why the mint didn’t produce any more?? First 2 pics are of an example of one I found the supports this theory and the 2nd pic is the one I found. Feedback would be great! Thanks you 

While it is good to think outside the box, I am afraid you are grasping at straws on this one. (Wow - two metaphors in one sentence.)

I have only gotten to see two (I think?) 1894-S dimes in-hand at major auctions (a true privilege - one of my favorite coins that I can never own).  To my recollection, they do not suffer from weak mintmarks.

What you showed in your photo seems more likely to be an artifact of lighting, or digitizing the image.  I would definitely not use that as the basis for asserting there a "weak S" variety exists for the 1894-S.

Here’s a funny point about the 1894-S seen above. Notice the pretty toning? Yahhhhhh, that exact same coin, when auctioned the previous time, not so many years back, was TOTALLY BLAST WHITE. Yahhhh.... makes ya’ wanna pay through the nose for toning, doesn’t it?

I took it to a coin shop and he thought it was real. Told me to get 2 other expert opinions, and if they think it’s real to send it in. It looks to me it has a die fill to me but I assure you there is a S their.  

3884ED70-5898-4D7B-8D38-8A6AB4996646.png

Now there's two S's, a big one and a small one. I wouldn't waste any more brain cells on this - no one is ever going to certify it as 1894-S.

1894-S_not.jpg

@Deerhunter1599, at this point, you are so into your own disinformation that you wouldn’t believe it was from Philly if it was in Phillies pinstripes, and had Cheez Whiz from a cheesesteak dripping from Liberty’s chin.

Dear OP -- RE: "I took it to a coin shop and he thought it was real. Told me to get 2 other expert opinions, and if they think it’s real to send it in."

If the coin shop owner said he thought the coin pictured was "1894-S" then do not take your car there for service again. The shop is not a coin show, and the owner is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person - OR he was having fun with your gullibility. (That's when someone attracts sea gulls.)

Collectors know a great deal about authentic 1894-S dimes. Buy Kevin Flynn's book on the subject, then you will too !

:)

Your definitely right when u say he didn’t know anything. I could tell he was into for the bullion side of it and not the numismatics sode. He had never heard of the 1894-s dime. But he took his 30x magnification looking glass out and said yep looks like and s to me. When I asked if he was sure he said looks possible like a possible die fill but I see and S. When I told them there were only 24 minted, he took out his book to find it wasn’t in there and went on the computer to look it up. When I asked him if he thought it was possibly real after he said I see and S I don’t know what to say. After some reading on his computer he said of the 24 minted only 2 have unknown locations and it’s very possible the filled die is why nobody has seen it for so long. After he brought the die fill to my attention that’s when I started looking graded ones, and noticed the partial die fill on the one posted above. He recommended having it looked at by 2 more experts, before sending it In. I figured I’d see what people on this chat would have to say about it. The man of the shop was eager and even called me back to see if I had made any progress into having it verified. I said everyone’s shooting it down 

I think it's beyond anyone helping you on here, but... dude, come on. I see a couple 8's, a boat, some aliens, Texas, and Jesus. But that doesn't mean any of that was minted on the coin.

1894-S_not2.jpg

If you were really certain you had a 94-S, you'd have sent it in already, rather than continuing to post pictures in a futile effort to pressure people to agree with you after they have already made clear they aren't going to agree with you. If I had a real 94-S and knew it, I would physically drive it to a grading service, not caring what anyone thought.

So if even you don't really believe it, there's no reason anyone here should change his or her mind.

11 hours ago, JKK said:

futile effort to pressure people to agree with you

Yes, this. This is the earmark of the new wave of YouTube “educated” (as if...) coin people. I refuse to call them numismatists. 

2 minutes ago, RWB said:

Did the OP buy Kevin's book on 1894-S dimes?

This type doesn’t buy books. If it’s not free, they don’t read it.

1 minute ago, VKurtB said:

This type doesn’t buy books. If it’s not free, they don’t read it.

True!