• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

French 20-franc gold rooster

456 posts in this topic

On 10/3/2024 at 8:56 AM, Henri Charriere said:

Agreed.  Much ado about nothing.  All this trouble and in the end not a single restrike was found to have been struck in the year as denoted on the coin!  Looks like they bit off more than they could chew: what about all the owners of coins that have been sidelined?  The only way to make a definitive finding is to have each owner submit their coin to PCGS for an in-hand examination or a spectrographic metal analysis, and who's going to pay for that? I suppose it would be a matter of academic interest, but wow, they wreaked havoc with that unilateral action. In effect, your coin is tentatively a latter-day restrike until determined to be otherwise.

Here’s the nasty truth - PCGS is prone to some ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUS AND “STOOPID” internal decision-making. Their former so-called “superiority” as a grading firm is, was, and always will be, 100% pure marketing hype. It comes from being the very LAST TPGS to allow direct submissions from collectors, aka “the great unwashed masses”. The myth of PCGS’ superiority was dealer-speak for “they protect me from competition”.  Yes, Laura Sperber, I’m looking at you. Pay closer attention. Any firm that most restricts access to its services WILL ALWAYS BE touted as the superior firm BY THE NETWORK OF DEALERS. It will never be otherwise because protecting their own pecuniary interests will ALWAYS be paramount to dealers. 

Edited by VKurtB

🐓  :  Thank God Kurt spoke up!

Q.A.:  Yeah.  The last time I stated my opinion, right here, someone chided me for bashing a TPGS.  You remember that, huh?

🐓  :  I most certainly do.  And all you were doing was critiquing certain aspects of their operation. 🤣

On 10/3/2024 at 10:33 AM, Henri Charriere said:

🐓  :  Thank God Kurt spoke up!

Q.A.:  Yeah.  The last time I stated my opinion, right here, someone chided me for bashing a TPGS.  You remember that, huh?

🐓  :  I most certainly do.  And all you were doing was critiquing certain aspects of their operation. 🤣

TPGS’s are largely deserving of being bashed. Our hosts here clearly less so. I’ve never had even one point deducted for an appearance score on a competitive exhibit based on the exhibit hall’s lighting unattractively casting shadows behind a NGC slab. The same cannot be said of the PCGS slab. The shadows cast by the lights through the semi-transparent PCGS inner “gasket” really makes an unfortunately unattractive look. You see, I don’t give a darn about Registry Sets by and large. My specialty is exhibiting and judging exhibits. My 2021 Joe Boling Award is for Outstanding Achievement in Exhibit Judging. I’m sorry, but every itty bitty tiny nuance matters when judging. A single misspelled word can tank an exhibit in a close contest. So can a bad choice of typeface or color of a text card.  There are all kinds of ways to use slabbing firms. I prefer NGC because of its own aesthetics, and the aesthetics it provides to the totality of an exhibit. I also GREATLY prefer the “plain brown bar” label art. 

Edited by VKurtB

I will be the first to admit, where gold is concerned, such a coin looks better in a white holder.  I was reminded of just how much better when I saw that '33 Double Eagle in that PCGS Gold Shield Rarities Holder which appeared to be a special white (or was it clear?) holder with a gold/yellow insert. 

On 10/3/2024 at 8:47 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I will be the first to admit, where gold is concerned, such a coin looks better in a white holder.  I was reminded of just how much better when I saw that '33 Double Eagle in that PCGS Gold Shield Rarities Holder which appeared to be a special white (or was it clear?) holder with a gold/yellow insert. 

Also note how often these firms change the aesthetics of their holders. Even THEY know they remain a “work in progress” aesthetically. Else why keep monkeying with them? So much attention to label art? ¡Caramba!

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/3/2024 at 8:47 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Ah, but what about roosters? Does it depend on the plumage color?