• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling coins on this NGC forum
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is the correct forum in which to ask this question so please redirect me if needed. I’m looking at selling a few of my Lincoln Cent finds here on the NGC forum. I want to abide by all rules and regulations. I’ve never sold any coins here or elsewhere. My coins that I would like to offer for sale are neither NGC nor PCGS graded. I have posted many photos of my coins on this forum in the past and have had some extremely nice compliments, from seasoned veteran members, about the quality of my photos. In a nutshell, here are my concerns/questions. 

-Does a coin have to professionally graded/certified to sell on the NGC marketplace?

-Should I assign a possible grade to a coin I post for sale (in my opinion based on research from coin grading services by using their designated MS.... photos)?

-I am not familiar with the coin marketplace policies even though I have read several  older threads concerning the use of that forum. If someone can please direct me to a newer/updated profile or “rules set” for selling here it would be greatly appreciated. I am not an EBay guru (maybe I need to be and learn more about selling there) so any input concerning this would be appreciated. 

-Lastly, but not least, does this forum have a bidding system or simply a firm set price for purchases?  My first coin I would like to put up for sale, or possibly see what it would “bring”  (even though I truly do not want to part with it but I am faced with some medical bills I have to cover) is my red 1998 WAM in very good condition. I also have the 199 “TRUS” greaser MAD that I would like to get an offer on. 

I know this is a lot to ask. If someone could kindly explain the selling process here on the NGC website I would appreciate it. 

Thank You  

Welcome to the forum.  Some one will come along and explain the 'Coin Marketplace' procedures and give you some hints.  I've never done it but I see a lot of old timers use it.  Good luck.

27 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Welcome to the forum.  Some one will come along and explain the 'Coin Marketplace' procedures and give you some hints.  I've never done it but I see a lot of old timers use it.  Good luck.

Hi Alex. Thank you for your reply. I am sure someone will give me some well guided info on my questions. There have been numerous members on this forum who have literally “bent over backwards” to help me learn and expand my knowledge on numismatics and collecting, all of whom I am very thankful for. 

Click onto the Marketplace Forum. Third thread down is "Marketplace Guidelines". This should give you the information you need to follow to post coins for sale.

Read the thread on the marketplace section and your questions will be answered, keep in mind there are not a lot of active participants on this forum so you will not be getting tons of eyeballs seeing what your selling.  Also this is not ebay and bidding threads are not allowed, its bad form and there are not enough buyers here for that to be useful anyway.  Just my personal opinion you will have a much better chance to sell your items on ebay then here, and you can use the marketplace to advertise your auctions from places like ebay.  Just be polite and don't spam the marketplace forum, threads shouldn't be bumped until they fall off the first page.

Edited by Coinbuf

1 hour ago, Greenstang said:

Click onto the Marketplace Forum. Third thread down is "Marketplace Guidelines". This should give you the information you need to follow to post coins for sale.

Thank you Greenstang!  You are always a great help. 👍

29 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Read the thread on the marketplace section and your questions will be answered, keep in mind there are not a lot of active participants on this forum so you will not be getting tons of eyeballs seeing what your selling.

Thank you Coinbuf. That is good knowledge. I have bought and sold on eBay in the past  but never anything related to coins. I am all about respect, integrity and truth and want to make a good name for myself if I enter the coin selling arena. Hopefully I won’t “step on my toes”, so to speak, but if I accidentally do, I hope the guys and gals on this forum will overlook my deficiencies and chalk it up to learning. Thank you all.  

-Greg