• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1934-s peace dollar restoration question

12 posts in this topic

I am needing a 1934-S PEACE dollar in MS64 condition for my set,  the problem I am finding is most of the nicer ones seem to have an almost orange rusty tone thing going on. (just a light coloration, not really toning)  The rest of my set are blazers with no toning whatsoever.  Would NCS or PCGS restoration services be able to remove this coloring?  It definitely detracts from the overall appearance of the coins I am looking at for purchase.  Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks  (also does anyone know why 1934-S peace dollars seem to have this condition?)  I have not really seen it on other dates/mints

On 6/28/2020 at 4:29 PM, Paul Hills said:

I am needing a 1934-S PEACE dollar in MS64 condition for my set,  the problem I am finding is most of the nicer ones seem to have an almost orange rusty tone thing going on. (just a light coloration, not really toning)  The rest of my set are blazers with no toning whatsoever.  Would NCS or PCGS restoration services be able to remove this coloring?  It definitely detracts from the overall appearance of the coins I am looking at for purchase.  Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks  (also does anyone know why 1934-S peace dollars seem to have this condition?)  I have not really seen it on other dates/mints

I'm with you on preferring white coins. (Am I still allowed to say that?) That said, there's no way I'd try to remove the toning from a high end 1934-S Peace dollar. And I even know how to do it, much more gently to the coin than a standard coin dip. Still, on that, I would not.

Paul, they don't do "restoration"; it's "conservation". It's not just a semantic difference. It's a major difference in philosophy.

Edited by VKurtB

thanks for the replys.  VKurtB I think you summed it up for me.  I am thinking I will spend a couple grand more and get a blazer 64+ that will suffice for any hardcore 64 set.  I will try to post a pic if my endeavor is successful.  thanks again

In Block 5 of the NGC Submission Form the is information on the use of NCS Conservation.  I have used this service 3 times on gold CC coins.  Twice they were conserved and it was an excellent job of eye appeal.  One of the two jumped up one grade.  The third coin was returned to me, with no charge other than postage, as it was judged not economically worth conservation.  I am a satisfied customer of NCS.  Good luck what ever you choose.

On 6/30/2020 at 10:46 AM, VKurtB said:

I'm with you on preferring white coins. (Am I still allowed to say that?) That said, there's no way I'd try to remove the toning from a high end 1934-S Peace dollar. And I even know how to do it, much more gently to the coin than a standard coin dip. Still, on that, I would not.

Paul, they don't do "restoration"; it's "conservation". It's not just a semantic difference. It's a major difference in philosophy.

well i passed on the coins that i was considering getting conserved.  this one came in the mail the other day and is a beauty.  My next question would be "CAC"? or too many dings on the reverse??  definately works for my in progress set.  Please advise if CAC seems a good option thanks

0000073771064136760979_obv.jpg

0000073771064136760979_rev.jpg

I am not any sort of CAC maven, but the risk / reward seems to work on this coin.

12 hours ago, Modwriter said:

Does CAC open the holder to add their label?

External really sticky sticker.

I also thought CAC doesn't consider the + part of the grade, so they would still just be rendering an opinion on whether or not it is "solid" or high end 64. (Which if PCGS is calling it a 64+, it probably is safely at least a solid 64.)

Edited by Conder101