• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Standing Liberty Quarters

14 posts in this topic

Any SLQ collectors here that have some tips for a newbie to the series? I started on this set a couple months back and am about 9 coins deep so far.

I generally like to showcase a variety of surfaces in my sets so for these some blast white, rim toning, very dark, gold/ copperish but try to stay away from anything too splotchy which I guess is unfortunate since that's a lot of these coins. Do collectors in this series generally prefer one look?

In terms of the market, are any of the coins particularly soft at the moment? I've observed that the 17's can generally be had at a wide spread depending on the coin and that the 16 seems to be petty static in price but also seems like a coin that could be acquired anytime as they seem to be literally everywhere in nearly every grade. The 19-D and 19-S in anything MS61 and up seem, in my limited experience, to show up pretty infrequently. 

Anyway, guess I'm really just looking for some overall opinions on the series and if there is anything I should keep in mind or be on the lookout for. 

Welcome to the forum.

Your comment about the wide price spreads on 1917’s, depending upon the coin, applies to all dates  (as well as for a great many coins in other series, as well).

I recommend that you be very patient and selective in your search and that you enjoy yourself.

Are you able and interested in posting a few pictures of some of your coins?

A very beautiful coin and a popular series to collect, I tend to prefer a blast white coin but the market overall is more in favor of easter egg colors.  What grade do you want your set to be?  There are some very tough coins in the MS range so do the homework be picky and you'll have a great set when done.

Without knowing the assigned grades, overall, that looks like a very nice group! The only one I don't really like is the 1924, due to the grease(?)/spot(?) above and to the right of the date.

49 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

A very beautiful coin and a popular series to collect, I tend to prefer a blast white coin but the market overall is more in favor of easter egg colors.  What grade do you want your set to be?  There are some very tough coins in the MS range so do the homework be picky and you'll have a great set when done.

I'm generally looking for MS64 and up with these but am thinking I will likely go down to MS62 on some such as the 19-D and 19-S where the prices really start to multiply as you move up. 

I have given it quite a bit of thought and am not constrained to the FH designation as long as I like the coin otherwise. Believe it or not the 24-D above got a FH designation somehow. I just don't see it. hm

3 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

Without knowing the assigned grades, overall, that looks like a very nice group! The only one I don't really like is the 1924, due to the grease(?)/spot(?) above and to the right of the date.

Totally agree on that one, definitely consider it a miss in hand and can hopefully upgrade at some point down the road. 

20200611_113521.jpg

as long as I like the coin otherwise.

This is what you should be looking for in any coin you buy. If your initial impression is only "I need this date" then keep looking till you find one you actually like. If you don't like it when you buy it, it'll just be a hole filler and nothing more. 

Your 1924 does not appear to have "full head" detail...but it might be the lighting.

When I collected SLQ's I tended to buy coins that looked at first glance to have a full head - especially in those cases when there was a large price difference for FH. I stayed away from anything where the design was obviously compromised. I was satisfied with a nice 63 or 64 with eye appeal. I found that with such a busy design the technical grade didn't matter as much to me, particularly considering price differences. Just my own taste, beauty with economy if possible. 

The much more difficult challenge is to acquire coins that are nearly fully detailed - not just limited to Liberty's head, toes, etc.

2 hours ago, LINCOLNMAN said:

I was satisfied with a nice 63 or 64 with eye appeal. I found that with such a busy design the technical grade didn't matter as much to me, particularly considering price differences.

That's excellent advice. I have definitely seen instances of a 64 having a more complete strike with a better look than a 66 of the same date.

1 hour ago, RWB said:

The much more difficult challenge is to acquire coins that are nearly fully detailed - not just limited to Liberty's head, toes, etc.

That would be a tough set to complete! To that point, you might argue that the midsection has more problems across the board than the head does. Maybe a new FM designation :tonofbricks: