• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

About circulated satin finish and s quarters
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Got this ones in a swap.
They show signs of being circulated (scratches, etc...) , particularly the White Mountain National Forest with some wear at the hair area.
I guess it wasn't supposed to be as they're only released in mint sets, so, s mint apart, are the below Utah & New Mexico satin finish or regular?
If so, how to value them?

If not, how to spot the difference?

thank you.

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-17 at 23.17.06.jpeg

Well as raw coins each is worth $.25 to maybe $1 to someone looking to add those to a state qtr album.  I find proof qtrs all the time in change from proof sets that have been broken up by dealers that wanted just one of the coins, or perhaps by heirs of a collector that just spent them.  In fact I have so many I was considering doing a date run of impaired (circulated)  statehood proof qtrs, perhaps one day.   As to the other two its not unusual to find qtrs that have a more satin or less flashy appearance, I have found that to be especially true of coins that are coined in Philadelphia but have seen some Denver mint coins like that also.  All these would make great album coins imo, or did you have a different plan for them?

6 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Well as raw coins each is worth $.25 to maybe $1 to someone looking to add those to a state qtr album.  I find proof qtrs all the time in change from proof sets that have been broken up by dealers that wanted just one of the coins, or perhaps by heirs of a collector that just spent them.  In fact I have so many I was considering doing a date run of impaired (circulated)  statehood proof qtrs, perhaps one day.   As to the other two its not unusual to find qtrs that have a more satin or less flashy appearance, I have found that to be especially true of coins that are coined in Philadelphia but have seen some Denver mint coins like that also.  All these would make great album coins imo, or did you have a different plan for them?

Going to my album. Not easy to find them here in Brazil. Will take some time to complete both 50 States & America the Beautiful.
So, they're satin(ish) but not the official satin finish, right?
Thank you very much.

3 hours ago, blackfoxDJ said:

Going to my album. Not easy to find them here in Brazil. Will take some time to complete both 50 States & America the Beautiful.
So, they're satin(ish) but not the official satin finish, right?
Thank you very much.

I cannot say for sure but I think you have the satin finish (also called SMS coins) for the 2007 and 2008 coins but an in-hand exam is the only way to be sure.  The way to tell them apart is satin finish coins will have a sandblasted low shine look, as I said some regular strike coins will be less brilliant and but wont have the sandblasted look that satin coins have.  The White Mountain "S" mint coin was not made in the satin finish only regular strikes and proof strikes.  Yours doesn't appear to be a proof so it must have been the regular strike that was only used for mint sets.

Anyway hope that helps and good luck on finishing the sets.

His White Mountain does not appear to be a proof.  It is one of the business strike quality pieces S mint coins they started making in 2012 (and since then).  These were NOT included in mint sets and were only sold directly to collectors in rolls or bags.  Some collectors buy the rolls/bags search them, and send the rejects to the bank. (and satin finish coins were only in the mint sets from 2005 to 2010, the white mountain is a 2013.)