• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982D small date ??
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie with a strong passion for understanding and knowledge of the u.s. coins. I've been reading books mostly on error coins then applying what I've learned to the mini Collective coins I have I feel confident in several areas of the process of making them and then the eras of most coins but I am at an area that as soon as I think I have it I don't. It's the small date large date I'm stuck and can't go forward if someone would please tell me if this 1982-d is a small date or a large date and how you know would be great thank you in advance for reading and hopefully replying to my post.

Picture_20204813024837.jpg

Ok! soooo what I see from the link GWLange sent me is that the 1 is high and level with the 8,2.also, the tail of the 2 is pointed up or different than the lg date? Any other markers I'm missing? Sorry to ask so many questions but if I don't I won't know. Thanks 

This probably one of the most asked questions on any Forum. Everyone is looking for the extremely rare 1982 copper Small Date D cent of which there are only 2 or 3 known to exist.

The following photo  may help you in distinguishing between the two.

There are 3 basic differences in the date.

1- The top of the 8 on the Small Date is smaller than the bottom. (Looks like a snowman) On a Large Date it is closer to the same size.

2- The two on a Small Date has a slight curve near the bottom. On a Large Date it is straight.

3- This is what I go by for an instant recognition of the differences without having to look to closely. On a Small Date, the 2 is farther from the rim than on a Large Date.

1982 small large.jpg

Ok! soooo what I see from the link GWLange sent me is that the 1 is high and level with the 8,2.also, the tail of the 2 is pointed up or different than the lg date? Any other markers I'm missing? Sorry to ask so many questions but if I don't I won't know. Thanks 

Yep I see what your saying on the 8 and 2. The small & large dates are what were next for me to learn the 82d is just the one I started with. I'm not lucky enough or foolish to just happen to find one. You have been a great help and well worth my time to choose this chat board. I sure Appreciate your help.

When you are first starting to try to discern the difference between the two sizes, it is helpful to have either pictures or examples of both to compare to your coin. If you don't have examples to go by, remember this: on a Small Date, the distance from the tip of the base of the "2" to the rim is about the same length as the base itself. On a Large Date, the distance is about half the length of the base. You can see that plainly in the above pictures provided by Greenstang.

2 hours ago, Greenstang said:

This probably one of the most asked questions on any Forum. Everyone is looking for the extremely rare 1982 copper Small Date D cent of which there are only 2 or 3 known to exist.

The following photo  may help you in distinguishing between the two.

There are 3 basic differences in the date.

1- The top of the 8 on the Small Date is smaller than the bottom. (Looks like a snowman) On a Large Date it is closer to the same size.

2- The two on a Small Date has a slight curve near the bottom. On a Large Date it is straight.

3- This is what I go by for an instant recognition of the differences without having to look to closely. On a Small Date, the 2 is farther from the rim than on a Large Date.

1982 small large.jpg

Which is more valuable? Small date/large date? 

awwwh yes after looking at the 2's again I do see what your talking about. I just have a blind eye for this date or I'm looking so hard I can't see what I'm looking for. Thank you for your time and help.

I think the small date is worth more? ! Wrong or behind on that too probably.....

I think the small date is worth more? ! Wrong or behind on that too probably.....

Seeing that there are only 2 or 3 known to exist, I would say that the Small date would be worth more. Also these are not an error, but a variety.