• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you know people are being honest?

3 posts in this topic

I find it interesting that so many people at the top don't even bother to select NGC's photo to be included so people can view their set.    It seems to me anybody could plug in the serial number of a coin for sale to boost their score.  As long as it doesn't sell and even if it did sell and somebody didn't go to use it in a registry set, they can claim it's theirs without any proof and collect the rewards.  Without any proof or custom photos.    I'd hope this wasn't happening but I'd be shocked if it wasn't.   Using your own photos should be a requirement at a minimum in my opinion.  So that people don't waste their time going into look at "award winning" sets with ZERO photos and it might actually hold people a little more accountable.   Might be a lot of surprises if this was ever implemented.   I'm sure it'd be "the last straw" for some members.... who, "just don't have the ability or the time" of course..

Just a little hard to believe that somebody is holding all these 5 figure+ coins but they don't have a camera or a desire to showcase them.

Edited by Vess1

24 minutes ago, Vess1 said:

Just a little hard to believe that somebody is holding all these 5 figure+ coins but they don't have a camera or a desire to showcase them.

Actually its not hard to believe at all, coin collecting is a solitary hobby and when high dollar values are in play security becomes more of a factor.  Also at times a collector that is building a top level set will build it in the dark; meaning that he/she will not talk about or advertise their interest in a set to keep the competition for those needed coins as low as possible.  Now once the set is complete many collectors are egger to show off the set, but not everyone, some still value the anonymity as evidenced by the number of sets that are complete but reman private and are not visible to others even though those private sets are not eligible to win prizes.

Yes fraud does at times happen within the registry sets, I have seen it in a few cases but those are more the outliers not the normal.  Sometimes its outright fraud and sometimes sets that have been sold are just not retired and deleted form the registry.  That can happen when a set owner passes away and the family members are not aware of the sets existence on the registry.  If you know of any instances of fraud or sets that need to be retired you can provide the folks here at NGC of the details and they will look into it.

I too would like to see sets with photos of all the coins in the set be recognized over sets with few or no photos.  However that is a decision for the owner of the set, and as I pointed out there are reasons why some owners choose not to include photos which have nothing to do with owning a camera.  I have been working on adding photos and am just missing photos for 4 coins in my 09-58 Lincoln set and plan to have a photo of every coin in the very near future for this set and several of my other sets.

If they actually had to impose an effective enforcement mechanism I think it would be impossible to run this place without charging for it - and I think that would hurt membership so bad you might as well close it down at that point.

Yeah, some fraud occurs and when it can be proven NGC acts on it. But you just have to accept some lying probably occurs.

Funny thing in reference to what Coinbuf said - I try my hardest on photos on sets where I'm #1 because those 2-3 sets are some of my most important long-term collecting projects and I'm quite proud of them. Other sets - especially sets I know will never win anything - I put a lot less effort into. If the set is going to be archived for winning I want the photos to be good and I want my grammar and spelling to be on point. lol