• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin Cleaners

8 posts in this topic

Do coin dealers Spray paint their coins, or is this the work of a baking soda bandit ? 

A seller on E**y is selling raw coins but all of them have this strange matte finish. He has hundreds of these and they all look the same.

He has 100's of Positive feedbacks and No negative ones.

I'm assuming hes a notoriously vigorous coin cleaner ? Some of his prices are way up there and he has many sales.

il_794xN.1813316700_cws5.jpg

il_794xN.2110653920_tkk9.jpg

il_794xN.2138434695_5y5u.jpg

il_794xN.2218779973_1ksm.jpg

Edited by NevadaS&G

Hmmm a couple of these look possibly wizzed, but its very difficult to determine how much of what the photos suggest is lighting and camera settings vs coins that have been messed with.  As to your question no legit coin dealers do not spray paint or coat coins with anything, but the site you say these came from is not populated by many (if any) legit dealers.  I would be very cautious with places like those as the vast majority of those sellers are less than legit.

Those have a pebbly sort of look that would not be strange in cast counterfeits. Sometimes hard to know why someone would counterfeit a particular coin, but something is off on surface and color and I doubt it's spray paint.

I have a dime like this. I think they go at it with a Dremel or something to make it look "shiny". E**y is filled with scammers.

IMG_2359-ccfopt.jpg

1 hour ago, kbbpll said:

I have a dime like this. I think they go at it with a Dremel or something to make it look "shiny". E**y is filled with scammers.

IMG_2359-ccfopt.jpg

To me your dime looks different. If I were to describe it, I'd say yours is slightly pitted while the others are significantly pebbled. I would have no problem picking up your coin at the right price; the OP's images would make me keep on walking.