• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1979 Susan B. Anthony Dollar (Gold...)
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hello all. Greg here. Came across this beautiful coin and the pics just don’t do it justice. Just looking for some feedback on this coin. It’s a 1979 P and the entire coin is “gold” colored as you can see. Viewed through my loupe this coin has very high relief on all surfaces (if I’m saying that correctly...). I know there are narrow and wide rim varieties from this year but I’m not sure about this one. I’m leaning more toward a wide rim variety. Not sure if this is a proof or what. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Greg

4E285E73-7ACC-451F-8493-FE60768F3A4D.jpeg

906E8993-1F42-45C0-B8C8-70F6D353FEE1.jpeg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

These are normal coins that are gold plated for some marketing scheme. Ads for such things are seen frequently in general interest magazines.

You see the same things with Statehood quarters.

With the manganese brass presidential dollars this fortunately wasn't necessary - fewer coins to ruin.

4 minutes ago, jgrinz said:

It even was a circulated coin that was plated … 

Wouldn't bother non-numismatists who might think it looked Real Cool, would be my guess. Was designed to take money from people with money to waste.

I figured that it was plated. My son found it in a change jar at a friend’s house and it was given to him. I’m still learning guys so please bear with me. Thank you for all the comments. I really enjoy this forum. 👍

I realize this is a year old thread, but I bought a 79 proof set at a second hand store today. The Susan B looks gold in comparison to the half and the quarter.

I don't think his dollar coin was faked, but likely a proof coin. Sometimes the coins do have a tint that looks goldish.

SusanB.jpeg

@angeldoze--Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Please note that this topic is from over three years ago. If you found a gold-colored 1979-P Susan B. Anthony dollar that looks like the one originally posted, it is, as indicated in this topic, a coin that was privately plated after leaving the mint for sale as a novelty. It would have no collector value and is likely worth only its face value of one dollar. If it is something else, please create a new topic on this forum with clear, cropped photos of each side of the coin so that current forum members can see it and advise you.